Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am here to offer some info on procomp crank and rods, this is to see if they are worth a shit, not to listen to your opinions how I should bought a $1800 crank and $1300 set of rods bla.bla ..fact is scat..eagle..some luaniti , k1..molnar ,rpm..are all china made..so anyway i run a stock block class and im not putting a high $ crank and rod set in a $150 block, so i thought hell ill give this procomp china stuff a shot It was a whooping $642 to my door...forged 4340 crank and 4340 i beam rods i happen to have a new set of arp 2000 bolts that ill use, .crank physical looks great i mic the rod and main jounals and to my surprise are absolutely dead nuts on , i have not checked the big or small end on the rods, its a 351w main and sbc 2.1 rod size, ill have machine shop double check and then balance i will keep you posted on the final results on how much it cost to balance and any issues that did or did not come up

·
Registered
614 Posts
Not sure I would put a $642.00 crank in that $150.00 block either.
A cast crank would survive as long as the $150.00 block.

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure I would put a $642.00 crank in that $150.00 block either.
A cast crank would survive as long as the $150.00 block.
Crank i have in old 393 has been issue free and has 5 years of 7000 rpm use and it was $159 cast crank, this crank was $421

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
John, I applaud you. There is always so much negativity on the internet, AND SOME OF IT CAN BE WARRANTED, yet it would be nice to see an independent honest assessment of the parts.

I had a set of Pro Comp BBc 320 heads. I bought them used for the right price, so thought what the hell. I too got the "there junk" and the BUY BRODIX. Anyway the guy I bought them off, bought them BARE and had is guy assemble them with his parts. Motor was a 502 or 505 BBc. 714 lift SR cam, Super Vic 454 and 12.5 to 1 comp. The motor ended up making just shy of 900Hp, like 897Hp or something like that. Was within 5Hp of 900 @ 7400 and they didn't chase #'s. This was the motor in is sons FIRST dragster after moving up from jr dragster. The original owner also built a mid 6 sec street car that has won many awards and also has competed in Pro Mod and Chevy Nitro coupe class. So the guy has been around. They were trouble free for the 3+yrs they ran them. Switched JUST THE HEADS to AFR's (I think the 325's) and the car SLOWED DOWN!!!!! He spent a TON of $$$ getting the car to run back where the cheapy Pro Comp deal was.

Moral of the story is, from what I have seen from local guy I trust, the heads were fine and did seem to work well. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to use them myself and sold them as they were just too big for my street 427 BBc.

Please update us with the good and the bad.

Thanks, John

·
Registered
788 Posts
I hope you got better quality parts from them than the set of rods I saw. I checked some for a friend and they weren't tight enough on the dowels when you put the caps on. I could feel on the parting lines that they weren't lining back up well enough. Overall look didn't give me warm fuzzy feelings. It has been a few years and I don't remember how much out of round they were now.

I get that we all have budgets and some are larger than others so I won't put anyone down for doing what they can do. I just believe Scat, Molnar would be a better affordable choice. I have Callies Compstar rods so I can't throw stones.

Curtis

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Will see I'm sure you have a 100% American make setup
Your damn right I do. I dare anyone to try and find anything in or on my engine that isn't. Ask Chris U., he's seen it, he'll say how I roll with my junk.

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
77,165 Posts
I RAN A PRO COMP CRANK AND RODS..AND 320 HEADS...IT WAS ON A CRATE MOTOR FROM AN ENGINE SHOP IN ILLINOIS...WE SPRAYED IT....IT LIVED....NOTHING MAX EFFORT...I WAS BROKE...AND IT WAS CHEAP...BIG BLOCK HEADS IN GENERAL SUCK ...AND YOU HAVE TO SPEMD A LITTLE THERE TO CLEAN THINGS UP...BUT IF IT BLOWS UP...YOU ALREADY KNOW WHAT YOU BOUGHT

·
Registered
9,023 Posts
I was just trying to encourage johndickjr, sorry, I did not mean to hurt anyone's feelings, lol, but I bet "most" people own something made in china, "most" everyone does, lol, it just might not be in your engine or on your race car.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
BBF, I don't think anyone has there feeling hurt! I would agree with the most have something in there engine and probably something in the racecar from China.

I stated my point due to the "foll and this site with regards to the "follow-the-leader" mindset on the internet and this site. It was called for at one time, but China and more the people getting the parts made there, are getting a lot better. Just look at the Flotek/Promax 315/315 heads.

There are many many on this site that like to spend other people's money. It's very easy to recommend better parts and over build. These mild or street only builds don't need Bryant cranks, BME rods and CFE inductions. Maybe the OP is ok with a slightly better than OEM stuff that is new for piece of mind.

Glad Kevin CAPS posted. Now there's a guy who would say if there was issues. He's not afraid to be called out on issues. Just look at the TRANI stuff (KEV I mean the CARS trani not you being a trani! So don't fold me up like a mother fuckin' suitcace!!! LOL JOKING) and goes on and comes back. I get shit too for stuff as you know as well.

Hopefully the OP has some luck and these parts will live and be fine for his purpose for years.

John

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
underbuilding is usually disastrous, and This thread will hopefully show that a budget build can be done and done successfully... as most would know bad tuneups seem more common and cause more damage than inferior/budget parts... IMO a good engine builder/assembler knows where to use budget parts with no ill effect.. thereby saving much needed coin for the racing budget.

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would 2nd that! Ryan stuff is top notch and runs that way too. Far from budget parts there but they need to be for the way he's running it.
Don’t matter, im sure its top notch..fact is if he has a rubber hose anywhere its china..hose clamps..china..more then likely his lug nuts are china, or the oil filter , plugs, msd cap..guess where it came from..im sure he rewired the car..o my well that wire came from ?? Oo..china..so he is full of shit on not buying China parts

1 - 20 of 48 Posts