Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the pros and cons to having a wastegste setup on a procharger.
Let's say I want to street drive it and race it. It's a bbc f3 geared for 30psi or so. Could I put a wastegste on it and use that to control boost and leave the gearing alone.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I was thinking Most sanction bodys dont allow boost controllers on supercharged carscheck your rules for yoir class 1st

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Pros.

If racing allows it then you can use it in your tuning tool box. (Sneak up on boost or traction control etc.)

On the street you can put your foot down without immediately crashing. Especially coming out of corners and
when doing burnouts in tight spaces on unknown road surfaces.

You don't have to tear down your ride just to race or drive on the street.

A controller looks cool on your dashboard.

Cons.

You need to buy and fabricate more stuff, your engine bay won't look as clean. Although it is possible to
rig up a RDS MD104 to be both a BOV and wastegate at the same time.

A boost controller looks superfluous on your dash board to a turbo guy.

Myths

A 2 1/2" leak in your charge pipe will make the blower destroy itself. (Essentially an F2 on a 540 sees the same system resistance
as an F2 on a 350 with an appropriately sized wastegate.)

Truths

You can bleed 881hp worth of boost through a tiny 2 1/2" hole.
See Steve's twin F2 testing video Part 1..........

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
I run one on mine to help dump boost (a bunch) to slow it down when running the 6.60 index. Lot's of ideas you can do with them. Get an adjustable one.

Blessings........Ron

·
Registered
431 Posts
I don't know an awful lot about my setup but I am learning. I have a 496 with a d1sc 8-1 compression about 12 lbs boost. It is a street car I put together it has a 6 speed standard and 1rst and 2cnd I can't even hit the boost at all without spinning the tires. I don't mean to hijack a thread, but if I bled off boost in those 2 gears it would help me hook up. How do you do it. I looked up RDS MD104 and could not find what it is.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I don't know an awful lot about my setup but I am learning. I have a 496 with a d1sc 8-1 compression about 12 lbs boost. It is a street car I put together it has a 6 speed standard and 1rst and 2cnd I can't even hit the boost at all without spinning the tires. I don't mean to hijack a thread, but if I bled off boost in those 2 gears it would help me hook up. How do you do it. I looked up RDS MD104 and could not find what it is.
Use a boost controller hooked up to the wastegate.

The RPS MD104 (Race Parts Solutions Mad Dogg 104mm) is purpose built for centrigugal blowers and large turbos. It has the same outlet area as 4 big red Procharger BOVs.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts

·
Registered
25,667 Posts
You most likely have to much rear gear, suspension problems and bias ply tires. Ok back to thread. Need more info about the rest.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Goin to attempt to make this thing a bad ass street car and hopefully still run a 6sec pass
We will see.
That's really cool. See if you can talk to Control Freak on YB regarding the AMS1000 or 500 boost controller. Also search over on the turbo board for AMS plumbing and programming info.
Good luck.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts