Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm building a 502 bbc F2 procharged engine for a boat. I have a custom procharger bracket that hangs the charger out further. I had to do this because the headers come up instead of sweep down as in a car. Basically i have it set up with 1800-8mgt-50 belt running a 73 crank and 48 blower pulley. from what i have calculated it should be somewhere in the 14-16lbs range. i have the engine setup to run e85, but at the moment its still difficult to get e85 where i boat.

with that in mind i wanted a 10ish lbs setup also which would be just fine for pump gas when i can't get e85. so i picked up a 58T blower pulley which by may calculations would work find to bring down the boost, however i need a longer belt....which doesn't exist. so now i figured that i'd just bring the crank down to a 64-66 ish and run a 52-54 tooth setup which should work just about right for the 1800 belt i already have.

My problem now is that, i cannot for the life of me find a 64-66 crank pulley for my bbc that has the v belt behind it. so i was thinking....

(HERE IS THE QUESTION)

Can i get a run of the mill roots style crank setup in the 8gt cog size for a 65-66 tooth like i need? will this work just fine for me with my F2? My engine has a blower, 2 keyway balancer with the 6 bolt setup, so a roots crank pulley setup will bolt right up. i can get the 1 v belt pulley to put between the balancer and cogged crank pulley. i can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work, and going this route would make it super easy to change it up and down if i wanted (easily available, and quickly changed). Anything i'm missing here???

thanks for the help,

Andrew

here is a pic, so you can understand what i'm talking about with the bracket and blower location.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Ok, I'm building a 502 bbc F2 procharged engine for a boat. I have a custom procharger bracket that hangs the charger out further. thanks for the help,

Andrew

here is a pic, so you can understand what i'm talking about with the bracket and blower location.

Who makes that intercooler? I am guessing that is what it is.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Who makes that intercooler? I am guessing that is what it is.
the intercooler is made by procharger. it is the largest "Marine" intercooler they make, it is a water to air intercooler and ridiculously expensive if you buy it new....polished version somewhere around 1800 or so....i got it as a package deal from a guy. however it is a very nice piece.

Andrew

·
Registered
493 Posts
sure can ,, thats all i use is a 8mm roots blower pulley on the bottom on mine, they also sell the single v to go behind it, try dragparts.com, they have the best prices i can find,

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sure can ,, thats all i use is a 8mm roots blower pulley on the bottom on mine, they also sell the single v to go behind it, try dragparts.com, they have the best prices i can find,
thank you very much, thats exactly what i was looking for. one other question, they have the 8mm and 8mm gt, i have the 8mgt belt, should i only use the 8mm gt pulleys then? or can i use the regular 8mm pulley also? will it cause issues? thanks again,

Andrew

·
Registered
493 Posts
i run a powergrip gt belt on a 8mm lower and have yet to have any issues, the teeth look to mesh perfectly and i have a probable 1000 street miles and a lot of passes on the same belt. I think you can run a gt belt on a regular 8mm pulley but you cant run a regular 8mm belt on a gt pulley,, if that makes any sense to you

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i run a powergrip gt belt on a 8mm lower and have yet to have any issues, the teeth look to mesh perfectly and i have a probable 1000 street miles and a lot of passes on the same belt. I think you can run a gt belt on a regular 8mm pulley but you cant run a regular 8mm belt on a gt pulley,, if that makes any sense to you
yep...perfect sense! thanks again

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How do you calculate pulley to boost. Is there a formula?

i did it based on actually blower speed, and the general description of "approximate" boost with my engine size and intercooler that Procharger gave me.

in my case, (the higher boost setup i have) i have a 73 crank and 48 blower pulley. the ratio is 1.52 (48/73) that 1.52X6000rpm (my max rpm) is 9124X5.4 (blower ratio) is 49,274rpm of the blower. Procharger told me that with my setup and spinning the blower a max of 49,000ish rpm i'd be looking somwhere around 16-18lbs depending on intercooler pressure drop. they also told me that if i were in the 40,000rpm range i'd be in the 8-10lbs or so. so i'm trying to use these numbers to get around the boost number i want to be, however there is no way to know exactly as it changes depending on the engine and setup as to the actual boost number

Andrew

·
Registered
19,903 Posts
sometimes you can get diff idler pulley sizes to help out odd belt sizes

1 - 13 of 13 Posts