Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Building a new procharger motor, 4.53 by 4.00 BBC, 30lbs max boost w/F3M. Street driven car (to car shows and cruise in's) Some track time. Should I run an aluminum rod or steel. We used aluminum in our TAD blown alky so not sure on a rod for this deal. Any help would be appreciated. rod is 6.535 length.
thanks!!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
If its street driven i cant think of a reason why you wouldnt put a steel rod in it,a top draw steel rod would be an oliver or lunati rod .aluminium for max effort race,i have used ali rods in a street motor with no problems for a number of years its the heat cycles and power level thats the determining factor as to how long they will last..if you do go the ali roote get good heat in the motor before you even drive it on the street will help..

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Steel,

No need for an aluminum rod on a car that is often street driven, keep the tune safe and don't look back!

Why would you say that? I have run aluminum rods in street engines with no issues whatsoever for years. In fact, they last longer in street engines than in all out race applications. Aluminum rods are not what they used to be many years ago and I would not hesitate to run an aluminum rod in street engines. He will be fine with any rod he chooses, I like the lunati Pro Mod rods for a good 4340 deal, and the only difference would be the cost. If he were going to go billet steel rod, the aluminum rods are actually cheaper. The 4340 rods are a bit less than aluminum. Many more advantages to running aluminum rods.

·
MFI on CH3OH
14,159 Posts
olivers in mine, very very nice rod.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts