Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://www.stevemorrisengines.com/dyno-videos/tony-braglio-f3-bbc-methanol

Just wanted to start a conversation about procharged promods and if they will be able to compete with the traditional nitrous, turbo, and blower cars? The video above is the dyno video of the motor I have put together( Hired Steve Morris engines to build for me). Let me know your thoughts.

·
Banned
9,390 Posts
I think the lack of use is what keeps them away. Not many people have tried. Its easier to buy a turbo or roots setup if you wanted to go the boosted route than it would be to learn to tune one of these. I think if someone worked hard at it and started busting off some 3.5-.60's in PX there would be a lot more show up.

Off topic - Is there a reason the blower couldn't be rotated 45-90 degrees so the outlet is closer to the intake? Seems like you could make the tube a lot shorter that way.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
We are going to tighten up the radius and do exactly what you said rotate things around. I wanted to put a gear drive on the car but I would have to recreate the entire front suspension of the car to make it work so we went with the belt drive set up.

I agree in the learning curve with promod guys. But the 10.5 and radial guys use this set up a lot so the knowledge is out there. Plus I like different stuff:rolleyes:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been following Bill and they have been putting up great numbers. Now they do a mechanical fuel system. While I am doing the efi. But either way I am a Baltimore guy and hopefully I can get my combo together and run close to what Bill has put up.

·
20,181 Posts
I have been following Bill and they have been putting up great numbers. Now they do a mechanical fuel system. While I am doing the efi. But either way I am a Baltimore guy and hopefully I can get my combo together and run close to what Bill has put up.
If you need to get in touch with him to pick each others brains let me know. I can get you in touch with him.

·
20,181 Posts
Tim,

I will most likely take you up on that. I also hope my car catches your cameras lens when it is complete. I will also get some build pics posted soon.
Send me some spy shots and I can get them in our magazine. Steve has been a great help with us at RPM magazine and Id love to showcase some more of his work.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tim,

I just emailed Steve and we will get some photos together for you and we would be honored to have some photos in the magazine. My dad and I have been out of the game for a while but are looking to come back and have some fun at the track again. I am working on the details to put his blown 37 chevy coupe (The STRIP TEASER) back together now.

·
20,181 Posts
Tim,

I just emailed Steve and we will get some photos together for you and we would be honored to have some photos in the magazine. My dad and I have been out of the game for a while but are looking to come back and have some fun at the track again. I am working on the details to put his blown 37 chevy coupe (The STRIP TEASER) back together now.
Was his car a gasser? Ran about 10 years ago.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
We are going to tighten up the radius and do exactly what you said rotate things around. I wanted to put a gear drive on the car but I would have to recreate the entire front suspension of the car to make it work so we went with the belt drive set up.

I agree in the learning curve with promod guys. But the 10.5 and radial guys use this set up a lot so the knowledge is out there. Plus I like different stuff:rolleyes:
Give some thought to larger piping while your changing things up.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Everybody that has tried bragged about giant boost and hp numbers but the power is hard to manage. A couple things I see...You'll never outrun a screw with less than 9000 rpm. Maybe it kept pulling upstairs but rpm is key to the way the PX cars perform.
I don't think it will live very long without billet heads and block. I know that cylinder head has decent rocker gear but look at the BAE stuff and you'll realize its pretty light duty.
The most successful centrifugal cars were typical blown alcohol long blocks with promag and waterman pump. It was easy for several of them to switch to a roots and pickup .2 overnight when they finally threw in the towel.
I respect doing something different..I ran a cast aluminum chevy with a screw and roots for years. I learned a lot but the lessons were expensive and a ton of effort went into a dead end program. The sport is hard enough without running an oddball custom built combo.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I will be using this set up in top sportsman for a year and then will move on to try and run with the NEOPMA. My ultimate promod set up would be a 481x and I agree the sport is costly and I am ok with different. I have a good group around me to accomplish what I am looking to do. I have no desire to go pro extreme racing. I am more of a pro boost guy.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts