Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're having issues with water flow with our Intercooler/water tank/pump setup. Basically it starts fine and than trails off.

Tank: Chiseled 5 gallon - No vents
Pump: Rule 3800 gph - 1.25" feed from tank to pump, pump is below the tank
Intercooler: Chiseled 3000hp

We first noticed a problem, the IATs were hot - 130ish on a 70 degree day not really pushing the turbo. We thought it was from the trans cooler being in the tank.

So we removed the transcooler for last nights race. IATs are still up. So we started looking.

When we first turn on the pump on the water in the tank really flows fast. It shoots across the tank with ease. After it runs for a few seconds the flow dramatically drops until it just basically rolls out of the return. It seems to get better with the lid off.

We're wondering if its pulling in air or the pump is cavating from not having a vent. We notice the Lid is VERY hard to get off once we come back from a run.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
TRY A VENT? WOULD BE MY 1ST CHANGE... COULD IT BE THE ICE, BLOCKING THE PUMP FLOW?? HAD THAT PROBLEM BEFORE....:cool:

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks but damn you love come caps lock. Does it without ice in the system.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
is this better? im too lazy to change most of the time!:cool:

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
definitely needs a vent

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I just finished modding a 5 gal fuel tank for intercooler use. I have a Rule 2000 in there and after thinking about it, i left the -8 rollover valve to use as a vent. Between the temp changes and flow of water i can see it creating a vaccum in there.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Its, normal for the lid to get get sucked in, those pumps flow like a washing machine, i never put any vents on any of the tanks i do, havent had any issues with it, but its an easy solution to try, maybe drill a 1/8 hole on the lid (like mentioned above) and see if it helps, i know Brian Brown had a problem like this on his setup, but he had the Rule external pump mounted in a way where it had to pull water up, the pump would cavitate after a while,

try disconnecting the line going to the intercooler and see how it flows, maybe back trace it to see if its ok before the ic,

Robert

1 - 8 of 8 Posts