Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some advise to help my traction issues. Any help appreciated. Specs of the car.
66 nova 3000 pounds with me in it. All steel and glass besides hood.
Powerglide trans 1.82 first gear 8in coan converter gets 6300 rpm on trans brake.
Cal track bars, aje racing strut front end kit
4.56 rear gear 29x10 hoosier slick new. I run 8.5 pounds of air.
410 iron headed 23 degree headed sbc 13 to 1 compression cam duration is 270 at .050 intake and 284 exhaust with .710 lift and .660 exhaust. peek rpm is 8000 rpm.
The best pass is a 1.44 60 ft 6.26 @111 1/8 mile and [email protected] 1/4 . The car seems like it is spinning the tires for the first 10 ft. It does not lift the front tires.
The same set up with the only changes being a 5.13 gear and a afr headed 355 sbc went 1.38 60ft and [email protected] in the 1/4 getting about a foot of air under both tires. My launch has been the same.
I come off the transbrake with out a two step. Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
How old are the tires and how hot is the track? You may be wadding the tires up with so little air so pump them up like suggested. RM

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tried 12lbs of air in the tires came of the trans brake at 6400 rpm spun the tires again 60ft was 1.51 1/8 [email protected] 1/4 mile [email protected]. So I decide not to use the transbrake and foot braked the and the car hooked and went 60ft 1.40 1/8 [email protected] and 1/4 [email protected]. Would a 2 step rev limiter help off my trans brake lets say a 5000 rpm chip. I think when it hooks of a transbrake the car should 60 ft in the low 1.3's. Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Do you have adjustable shocks and have you tried adjusting them? Where you have the cal tracs set? Maybe the car is so tight it can't separte and hit the tire off the brake and does better when you preload the chassis footbraking it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The shocks are not adjustable they are lakewood 50/50. Cal track bars are in the top hole with zero preload with me in the car. As soon as I release the trans brake it blazes the tires for about 10 ft.

·
Registered
20,822 Posts
I would look for the problem in the front of the car. If it blazes the tires from the start, not when the front end limits out, then its not moving the front of the car and transfering to start with.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
If it isn't planting the tire initially it isn't going to trasfer any weight. What compound slick you running CO6? Are you getting them hot? Can you lean on the rear of the car and move it easily? It's not real stiff or bound up is it? How about the front of the car. Is it free to move up and down easily?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The compound is D06. I do a long burnout before each run producing plenty of smoke. Checked the frontend seems to lift easy and settles in okay. When pushing on the rear it seems to squat easy. The rear does seem to bounce right back up when pushing on it.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Would a 2 step rev limiter help off my trans brake lets say a 5000 rpm chip. I think when it hooks of a transbrake the car should 60 ft in the low 1.3's. Any advice appreciated.
I'm sure this is not the main problem.

Do you have any kind of rev limit when on the transbrake, or does the converter hold the rpm. If your using the converter to determine the rpm, I've heard that can be hard on the converter, and it can cause the trans temp to be a lot higher. I'm not one of the experts but I'd suggest the 2step.

Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't think you can hit that tire too hard, try the 5000 rpm chip. I agree with one of the previous posts, I would look at the front end. Get the car scaled if you can see where the weight is. It is amazing what you can do with those cal-tracs and a little pre-load is Ok with a little pre-load onthem. You should have 4-6 inches of travel in the front end. I put new moroso springs (had to cut a little off) and Calverts 90/10 shocks on the front (first gen Camaro) The combination of new front components made a big difference. The whole package needs to work together, once the front starts to come around the tires should be able to do their job. Without the front coming up you may be topping out your rear shocks and not planting the tires. Keep working at it you will get it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Definitely check the front suspension for travel. Also, at what rpm do you leave on the foot brake and what does it flash to? get yourself a 2 step and play with the rpm launch on the transbrake. My car leaves better @ 4200 and flashes @ 6000 on the transbrake.I've heard some cars or converters work better when getting a running start.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Definitely check the front suspension for travel. Also, at what rpm do you leave on the foot brake and what does it flash to? get yourself a 2 step and play with the rpm launch on the transbrake. My car leaves better @ 4200 and flashes @ 6000 on the transbrake.I've heard some cars or converters work better when getting a running start.
Very true...........3600 chip here with a 5100 flash = one hard hitting launch:cool:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts