Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cannot get my water pump to stop leaking at the bottom between the pump & front cover. Stock cover & edelbrock pump. Took the back off the pump, wire wheeled it put its pitted. Block sanded the pump housong clean. Silicone only on the back cover (did not have a gasket for it) & silicone & gasket pump to cover. Front cover to block appears to be OK. Leaks as soon as I start to fill it. Hsd the front cover off with the pump attached and it started leaking after re-assembly. i have done that befor & have been able to just redo the sealing between the front cover & block without touching the pump side many times. Pulled it apart after the leak cleaned & tried to seal as above, still leaks. car was not leaking before i pulled the cover off. Any ideas?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Are the water pump bolts too long and bottoming before fully clamping the pump? seen this before with arp bolt kits.

·
Registered
9,494 Posts
Mike is right I have also seen guys over tightening these bolts kinda warping it and making it leak. Don't over tighten them. Also with no gasket it might make the bolts to long. I can't remember if you can put a washer on them or not.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are the water pump bolts too long and bottoming before fully clamping the pump? seen this before with arp bolt kits.
Close, there was some residual silocone at the bottom of the holes from years of changing cams, rebuilds etc. Washered the bolts, put in a new gasket, no leaks. On a side note, this is an 8.2 iron eagle I bought used from you in like 2006. may have been a boosted engine before I got it. Regardless, do you recall where you got it from & who might have done the machine work? For some reason Randy & PER comes to mind. nothing wrong with it, just curious.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mike is right I have also seen guys over tightening these bolts kinda warping it and making it leak. Don't over tighten them. Also with no gasket it might make the bolts to long. I can't remember if you can put a washer on them or not.
See above. Added washers to be safe. Now if I can get my injectors to stop leaking.....

·
Registered
517 Posts
You mentioned that it is already fixed but I used to have similar issues so just passing some advice.

I like to stay away from the silicon, it seems like the edelbrock pumps flow way to much coolant over 6500 engine rpms and like to push out the bottom edge of the gasket. If you have no thermostat, it's ususally not an issue. I only use felpro gaskets and have been using high-tac. It only takes 3 to 4 light/med coats, let tack up for 5 minutes, brake clean the pump to plate and pump/block and then tighten everything down. Give it 30 minutes and then retighten.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You mentioned that it is already fixed but I used to have similar issues so just passing some advice.

I like to stay away from the silicon, it seems like the edelbrock pumps flow way to much coolant over 6500 engine rpms and like to push out the bottom edge of the gasket. If you have no thermostat, it's ususally not an issue. I only use felpro gaskets and have been using high-tac. It only takes 3 to 4 light/med coats, let tack up for 5 minutes, brake clean the pump to plate and pump/block and then tighten everything down. Give it 30 minutes and then retighten.
I'll pick up a gasket during the week just in case.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts