Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Garret gtx55 91mm with PTE1.15 af v-band house. Did a test today and it´s tuff to spool, approx. 8-9 sec. my question is if its gonna make a big difference to switch the house to T6-1.00 af or should I go with nitroz to spool it? I´m running ptc converter, and they say that they can´t build a looser stater to me. The engine is V6 4.3l. If you have any suggestions about this,?

·
Registered
996 Posts
I have a Garret gtx55 91mm with PTE1.15 af v-band house. Did a test today and it´s tuff to spool, approx. 8-9 sec. my question is if its gonna make a big difference to switch the house to T6-1.00 af or should I go with nitroz to spool it? I´m running ptc converter, and they say that they can´t build a looser stater to me. The engine is V6 4.3l. If you have any suggestions about this,?
It will help some. What converter and tune up are you using?

·
Registered
729 Posts
We have a Garrett 5020 88mm on a 285 ci GM inline 6 and Hughes 2 stage dump valves did the trick on my PG trans.

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
Is it a Gen 1 GTX55 turbo?? A Gen2 is not compatible with the PT housing. What is compression ratio??Where is cam degreed and how much timing when trying to spool?? Also it may be too rich causing some of the struggle getting up on the converter. Small CUIN combos need very optimized tune-up, converter etc.

·
Registered
996 Posts
PTC Converter/ Fast XFI
What spec is the converter ? 9.5? What blade stator, pump etc? They can also mill the stator blades if you at the 20 blade. What a/f and timing are you using coming up on the chip? What RPM are you using on the chip to build boost? The housing will probably get you there 200-300 rpm sooner. As was mentioned cam timing can help as well.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What spec is the converter ? 9.5? What blade stator, pump etc? They can also mill the stator blades if you at the 20 blade. What a/f and timing are you using coming up on the chip? What RPM are you using on the chip to build boost? The housing will probably get you there 200-300 rpm sooner. As was mentioned cam timing can help as well.
Its PTC 9.5 tried different stators in the converter now 19blade/35% and tried timing =( i need 400 loser converter , stator i have is the lossest PTC can do

)

·
Registered
996 Posts
Its PTC 9.5 tried different stators in the converter now 19blade/35% and tried timing =( i need 400 loser converter , stator i have is the lossest PTC can do

)
I'd double check with PTC. When I ran a V-6 they made me a 20 blade stator and milled the blades from the std. angle. How much timing? What AFR? RPM on the chip?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd double check with PTC. When I ran a V-6 they made me a 20 blade stator and milled the blades from the std. angle. How much timing? What AFR? RPM on the chip?
Thanks for your time, to try to help me. Not according to Dustin Bradford at PTC. I have sent this converter back and forth a few times, and lost one whole season due to this spool problem. My fuel is E85. Under the spooling I have AFR, approx 8.5 and the timing under the spool 36 degree. Trust me I have tried almost everything. Do you think that a converter dump will help me? I need approx 400 rpm looser. This is a 4L80E trans. My goal is not to use nitroz, but if I run out of options, I will have to do it. Thanks again.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Thanks for your time, to try to help me. Not according to Dustin Bradford at PTC. I have sent this converter back and forth a few times, and lost one whole season due to this spool problem. My fuel is E85. Under the spooling I have AFR, approx 8.5 and the timing under the spool 36 degree. Trust me I have tried almost everything. Do you think that a converter dump will help me? I need approx 400 rpm looser. This is a 4L80E trans. My goal is not to use nitroz, but if I run out of options, I will have to do it. Thanks again.
I'd give a call to Lane and ask about the 20 blade. I used one. That A/F is very fat for spooling. What compression ratio do you have ? You may have room for more timing. The smaller exh housing will help as well. The dump will help. and should get you 400 looser, but the tuning may get you the same. Also inquire about the 20 blade.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I would try to throw 42deg at it and keep it on a “clean” lean AFR as you climb to the chip. I would also suggest running the thinnest transmission fluid you can get your hands on within reason.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
I have tuned a few V-6 Buicks. The camshaft played a major role in spool. Back in the day we didn't have bumpbox and dump valves so we needed EVERY bit we could get to make it spool. We raced heads up pro tree... With the wrong camshaft I couldn't make it spool no matter what I did. It just wouldn't get over the hump. This was before E-85. E-85 helps a bunch. We had ATI and PTC converters.

The V-band housings flow more then a 4 bolt flange. The 1.15 flows more like a 1.40

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
Definitely look into the converter dump the ones that dump actual converter charge pressure seem to do more than the ones dumping cooler circuit. Depending on fluid you are currently using there may be as much as 200rpm in lighter viscosity fluid. PTC has been good to me over the last 10 - 12 years I have run their converters, however all converter companies are not created equal. Every company seems to have a particular sweet spot that they really shine in. I would call Joe at Pro Torque and ask him about the U9 converters, they have shown a ton of flexibility across a whole range of applications. Some of the datalog info I have heard about is truly amazing. The engine and driveshaft rpm traces look like a clutch car in some of the Factory Stock Shootout COPO Camaros. Check with Hugh's Transmissions on the dump valves. Hope this helps.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts