Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 316 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any one had problems with their stuff? i recently got a 393w kit with forged i beams, got it together went about 12 miles and started knocking, cut the oil filter apart full of copper so i tore it down and found rods 4,5,6 to have eaten the bearings up. i did not plasti gage it during assembly i checked ring gap and side clearance as they asked me to upon assembly. i have used 3 of their kits within the past 4 months and had no problems. i still got a 427 to assemble after now paying to have everything in it checked for flaws. my problem is i called chp where it come from and they basically blew me off. 2 rods r oversized and 1 is undersized according to a local machinist. all i asked was to make the 3 rods and bearings good, and i would pay for the rest having the crank turned,cleaning the block,and everything else to rebuild it again.

i am not trying to bash them just asking if anyone else has run into this problem, i would have thought they might have helped me since i have gotten 3 complete kits from them but guess not. thanks for any input.

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
Your not trying to bash them, but you post negative feedback. You don't check the clearances? You should not be putting engines together... You are toast...

·
YB Managing Editor
50,793 Posts
Holy shit you are about to get the ass fucking of the week here. :smt118

1st page bitches. :smt077

·
Registered
9,494 Posts
1ST page and Haven't had a problem with there products... Also have been very help full here on the sites and over the phone. My first engine builder didn't take measurements either or didn't care the tolerences were to tight. Luckily the other engine builder caught them and turned down the crank. It wasn't CHP fault. I have nothing but faith in CHP. They even helped other engine builder make it right...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i am not bashing u can say all the smart ass stuff u want i really dont care, i asked a question this is the 1st motor i have ever had a problem with in over ten years of building. i have never had to plasti gage any of the others. i have had great service and still have 2 probe kits running in cars now, i am just pissed how they handled it. i havent called there product crappy or junk i made a statemnet and asked a simple question of other people if u wnat to be a smart ass start ur own post.

as far as negative feedback i am not being negative i didnt see another spot to put the question. i am asking for feedback.

·
الكتاب ا
6,697 Posts
Okay, so you didn't plastigauge; lots of folks don't plastigauge. But did you mic the journals and gauge the bores? Have you checked the other engines you've built over the last 10 years? If you're not checking these things, with all due respect, I gotta say you've just been lucky.

It's a necessity to check clearances whether it's a Probe (RPM) or a Sonny Bryant. It's just one of those things you gotta do. Every machining operation has a tolerance (from journal, to bearing, to bore) and they can stack up either too tight or too loose.

I don't take what you're asking as negative feedback either, but you may have jumped the gun placing the topic in the negative feedback forum. Wouldn't hurt to send a friendly PM to Mark O'Neal and see what he thinks.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I can see it both ways. First, you should have checked the clearences. Second, so should they. I think what you asked of them is very, very fair.

·
Idiot Savant
166,522 Posts
any one had problems with their stuff? i recently got a 393w kit with forged i beams, got it together went about 12 miles and started knocking, cut the oil filter apart full of copper so i tore it down and found rods 4,5,6 to have eaten the bearings up. i did not plasti gage it during assembly i checked ring gap and side clearance as they asked me to upon assembly. i have used 3 of their kits within the past 4 months and had no problems. i still got a 427 to assemble after now paying to have everything in it checked for flaws. my problem is i called chp where it come from and they basically blew me off. 2 rods r oversized and 1 is undersized according to a local machinist. all i asked was to make the 3 rods and bearings good, and i would pay for the rest having the crank turned,cleaning the block,and everything else to rebuild it again.

i am not trying to bash them just asking if anyone else has run into this problem, i would have thought they might have helped me since i have gotten 3 complete kits from them but guess not. thanks for any input.

First.....I would like to know who you spoke to.

Second......you cannot put kits together with out checking bearing clearances. Even if we did measure them, and we don't, different applications require different applications. It is the responsibility of the engine builder to ensure clearances are correct.

·
Idiot Savant
166,522 Posts
I can see it both ways. First, you should have checked the clearences. Second, so should they. I think what you asked of them is very, very fair.

Of course you do.

And are we responsible for making the clearance .00175 in a street motor and .00275 in something with a lot more power?

No one checks the clearances in a kit, that is the responsibility of the engine builder. We do if you buy a short block though....and we warranty them.

While I normally go out of my way to help people, it usually depends on their attitude. But the real world is that I will pay for my errors, you should pay for yours.

·
Registered
621 Posts
10 years and using plasti gage? your asking for trouble by not checking clearances. If you are doing this for people you might want to invest in the proper tools.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i guess i have been lucky. i will check everything from here on out. i have the guys name wrote down at home i will get it for u mark. like i said i havent had or got a attitude with anyone. i just would have like a little help since i have been a decent customer over the past few months, did i screw up by not checking yes i guess i did, will i check them now yes i will. i got good service from their product in the past so i figured no need to check this one, all i asked for was a little help and they bascially blew me off like i didnt matter.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i didnt ask for another kit or complete motor i thought my request was simple and reasonable due to me not checking the rod clearance, i checked the ring gap and side clearance as i always do and put it together. it turned freely and did not bind up on the stand.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
i didnt ask for another kit or complete motor i thought my request was simple and reasonable due to me not checking the rod clearance, i checked the ring gap and side clearance as i always do and put it together. it turned freely and did not bind up on the stand.

How far did you tow your car down the road before the engine would turn over? If you had to tow it over a half mile, then you had something wrong. :partyman:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, I primed the oil pump prior to starting the engine, with oil pump drive kit. Didn't tow anywhere, trailered it home, when it started knocking.

·
Registered
49,436 Posts
Plastigauge is useless for checking rod bearings.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I give him props for being truthful. And what he is asking for is fair because they should have check it to . With this tread i wouldn't do any work with that company . Its seems to have bad custmer services....

1 - 20 of 316 Posts