Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Administrator
136,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why does PRO get a better turnout of cars/racers when the NSCA has more classes? Below is a list of the first race held by both and I was wondering what makes one better than the other. The rules are not that much different...

PRO:
Pro Stree: 12
Super Street: 5
NPS: 14
Xtreme Street: 23
Pro Stock: 9
Street Race: 4
NSS: 9
NMC: 9
Open Comp: 20
Super Truck: 6

PRO has 10 total classes with a total of 111 racers

NSCA
Pro Street: 6
OPS: 8
NPS: 4
S/S: 0
Pro Nostalgia: 3
T/S: 5
L/S: 5
Real Street: 2
Hot Street: 4
Drag Radial: 4
NSS: 10
AMC: 10
EFI: 9
Factory Mod: 3
Super Stock: 12
WSR: 11

NSCA has 16 total classes with a total of 96 racers

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Well Monty, If you compare apples to apples in pro/ outlaw street. NSCA still keeps the 2 classes separete. where as PRO has them combined. So the turnout would be 14 for NSCA and 12 for PRO.
BTW I REALLY appreciate NSCA doing this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ sucking up here :oops:

·
Administrator
136,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK lets give you that.. But there are still 6 less classes and more racers with PRO...

Super Street with PRO has more strict rules than the NSCA does and PRO has 5 racers compared to 0..

NPS took 2 classes and combined them to make one and they have 4 racers compared to 14!!

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Still Monty, NSCA had there 1st race in la, Who the f*&k wants to go there? PRO has there first race in Florida where people can race and find a nice beach or go visit Mickey , or several other tourist attractions .

·
Administrator
136,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BTW.. I wanted to post why I would never race with PRO. A few years back I called their tech department and talked to some dickhead named Wes. I asked him a direct question and he never answered it. All he kept on saying was "what do the rules say!" I needed him to clearify if an aftermarket replacement front frame was legal for Super Street... All he kept saying was "What do the rules say?" This was an aftermarket stock replacement front frame but the rules said must be a factory front frame... So I was a little confused... Anyway he was a dickhead..

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
My dealings with PRO go back to 98 when there rule was if 16 cars attempt to qualify they ran a 16 car field . If 15 or less they would run an 8 car field. We were in Maple Grove , a 320 mile trip for me. There were 16 cars , but Ellen Paveo broke after the burnout. There call was that it was not an attempt since she never staged the car. I was in the no. 10 spot , And was sent home along with 7 other cars that were capable of running Sunday . Even after a long conversation with Bobby Cross on rather he wanted to have 8 cars for the fans to watch on Sunday , or 8 . Seemed like a no brainer to me . plus there payout would have been less with 15 cars , than 8 . Given there payout structure at the time

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
there was one S/S car in LA, Mike Lidecap. also the NMRA Bradenton race was the same weekend as NSCA.....and i know there were several cars that werent finished yet. open comp has always been the biggest class in both nmra & pro. EFI really isnt the same because they dont allow carbs. i think them having a truck class is a big help also...alot of those guys really dont have anywhere else to run cept local stuff.

·
Registered
93,064 Posts
I will go to a PRO/NMCA Race this year to check them out......Charlie Please send me Airfare and a suite at the Hilton (for 3).....then I will report....you decide :-D

·
Registered
93,064 Posts
:oops: .....Need Weekend Passes....Rental car too..........Look at all you people.....you love train wrecks........lookin for mud slingin weren't ya :shock:

·
Administrator
136,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm just trying to figure out why PRO had a better turnout is all. I know a few NSCA racers went to PRO because they were pissed and a few PRO people came to NSCA because PRO pissed them off... But overall why the better turnout? We used to race in Florida a few years ago. If the turn out was good there.. why change?

·
Registered
93,064 Posts
Tracks down there are toooo expensive.....I liked New Orleans myself....if more people would check things to do down there(Plenty) the Climate is the same as Florida....$$$ Cheaper....but its a hike.....as to car count....lets get into the season

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
LOL, there were 36 X/S car there on thursday/friday, the number you posted is the car count for eliminations on Sunday, A WHOLE bunch busted their shit up over the two days of practice.

·
Super Moderator
35,256 Posts
Rick Miller,

Pro did not exist in 1998. They did not exist until 2002.

Pro has better payouts. Pro has a better business plan, and is much more business like in it's management. This is a double edged sword though, as they seem distant to the racers, and decisions are made that are not always in the racers best interest.

NSCA is more racer and family oriented. The management deals on a more personal level with the racers, and shows a deep commitment to the racers. This is also a double edged sword. The close relationships with the racers causes conflicts in making tough decisions in removing classes, and axing racers whom they are close with.

Which one is better? Neither is better for the racers than the other. You need them both to a degree in my opinion, both a savy business plan, and a family atmosphere dedicated to the racer on a somewhat personal level.

Both have their problems. The question is which set of problems hurts the org. more in it's future?

Oh well, I don't really want to get into this again as I'll get everyone mad at me.

·
Registered
93,064 Posts
Chris...your right on with that....I understand both ideas....Tony D (NSCA) is Racers running a race series.....Charlie H (PRO/NMCA) runs as a for profit business....A lot of people have an issue with that......I don't....I tried for 2 years to get the two to work together....however I got egg in my face....A success for PRO/NMCA is making $$$....for the NMCA it is somewhere coming close to breaking even at an Event (thats easier to be a success) I wanted the 2 to make it so Racers who wanted could run both Series.....but emotions got in the way.....

·
Administrator
136,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Dog, I got the numbers from the qualifying ladder they had posted off both sites. Was there 36 cars that showed and only 23 tried to qualify?

Chris, I looked at the payouts on the PRO board and could not find them on the NSCA board. But to the best of my knowledge the payouts do not seem to be that far off. <<< am I wrong on this? I know Pro-Street with PRO has always paid out more. But the NSCA has that class split and pays overall around the same for the split classes of Pro-Street and Outlaw Pro-Street. Of course Im looking out for my own with Super Modified that was combined with NPS. I would have thought the class would have been a lot bigger than PRO's now. But 4 to 14 seems very odd to me. You know these classes better than anyone else. How many of these racers show up at most the events throughout the season? Or does PRO bring more of the locals out than the NSCA?

·
Super Moderator
35,256 Posts
Monty,

The racers are all regulars... the local guys run the classes like open comp, and true street.

When I'm talking pay-out, I'm talking in terms of contingency money where the bulk of the payout is.

In a lower class like Pro Stock where I race, I can win about 6300 bucks right now for a win.... runner up between 2-3000.

A buddy of mine who one the last NSCA Real Street race in La., won somewhere around 3500 total. That's a big difference for a similar class.

Not doggin on anyone, this is just what I'm hearing and seeing. If I'm wrong I will accept the whooping. :-D

·
Registered
90 Posts
Monty, You have posted a greaet question. I wonder that myself. The NSCA and it's racers and fans have been top shelf for me. There is a PRO race this weekend and have been invited to attend. If it weren't for some family issues I'd go. Since I can't we are going to the local roundy round and have some fun. Sorry for slipping there. I too would like to know why one org might draw more than another. I haven't seen the PSCA numbers, but they seem to do well.

·
Registered
38 Posts
PRO actually follows up with their paperwork and you get paid contingencies within 2 weeeks.
NSCA your still waiting for last years payouts when the new seasons starts.
PRO is all business, NSCA family focused. However, I have more friends/family then money, so I'd rather have the money, thanks. 8) :twisted:

1 - 20 of 61 Posts