Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to go from Bracket racing my car to doing some Index racing on a .400 & .500 Pro trees. What all needs to be done to my car to make the switch?
Also any advise you all can give me here will be greatly appreciated because I've never even tried Pro tree racing before so I REALLY don't know what I'm up against here so I need all the help I can get.

·
Registered
549 Posts
there is not really alot you can do differently to the car. you can get a adjustable trans brake which can help you acheive good lights. It is all won or lost on the reaction time cause the cars will all run very close to the index.

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
What kind of 60fts are you seeing now while bracket racing?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Small front tires, pro brake, and forward bite with very little suspention movement. You need the car to go forward fast rather than going up then forward, and keep the rear stiff. You dont want the rear suspention moving up or down. It takes time away from the car going forward. Pretty mutch need a strut, 4 link tube chassis to get .400 lights, or a dragster. I tried it in my stock suspention/ladder bar chevelle and could only get 4.50's. Best was a 4.20 but i think i was in deep. I tied the front end down, tightened the rear shocks but that was it. I could not red light. I have 27" front tires though. Probably be better with 25's. .500 Light is a different story. Pretty mutch any car with a brake can run .500 pro tree.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What kind of 60fts are you seeing now while bracket racing?
right now it sixty foots in the 1.5 range. What I want to do is run some open comp stuff on a .400 tree because the car runs 7.60 on the eighth mile

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right now what I have is coilovers up front with adjustable struts with 165R15 tires. Out back I have stock V8 springs with air bags in both sides with 3 way adjustable shocks. I don't have a transbrake.

·
Super Rod 2413
1,347 Posts
Raise your launch rpm.

·
Super Rod 2413
1,347 Posts

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Invest in a practice tree and hammer it for 10-15 mins a day setup for .400 Pro Tree. That will take more off your RT than anything mentioned above will. It gets your eyes, mind and hands working together much more quickly. I know if I am religious with the practice tree my lights are at least 0.030 better than without ever touching it.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Actually pro trees are .470 and .370. As far as the tires, on my car I need to jerk the ft end up out of the lights not drag through. Also a pro brake is a must!!!!!

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
No trans brake, no problem!!

My advice is that when you light the top bulb, stop, take a breath, bring the car up to launch rpm, ease off the brake and in one steady movement put the car in the beams where you want it. You may have to take a small bump for better RT but try and do it all in one shot because you won't have a chance to fuck around once the bottom bulb is on.

·
Registered
471 Posts
No trans brake, no problem!!

My advice is that when you light the top bulb, stop, take a breath, bring the car up to launch rpm, ease off the brake and in one steady movement put the car in the beams where you want it. You may have to take a small bump for better RT but try and do it all in one shot because you won't have a chance to fuck around once the bottom bulb is on.
Just wondering how you hold the car at launch RPM ?????
I launch at 4700.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Invest in a practice tree and hammer it for 10-15 mins a day setup for .400 Pro Tree. That will take more off your RT than anything mentioned above will. It gets your eyes, mind and hands working together much more quickly. I know if I am religious with the practice tree my lights are at least 0.030 better than without ever touching it.
I have one and I just started practicing this week and man do I SUCK! As far as a transbrake go's I'm talking to ATI about a Pro tree transbrake. Ilm leaving at around
2000 Rpm now.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I also have about 200 lbs. of weight in the rear that I'm going to take out & hopefully that will quicken it up as well. I hope this will help the 60 foots & drop about a .10 or so. I added it last winter when I was having some sixty foot issues & later found out it didn't help but I left it in there since it was an ET car.

·
Registered
390 Posts
No offence, but i doubt your car will react fast enough to compete on a .400 tree. Without a trans brake and 1.50 60's i just don't think it leaves hard enough. The coil over front is good if you can limit the travel and pop the tires out of the beam, but the stock style rear wont cut it unless it can be set super stiff. A stiff sidewall tire helps too. If you decide to try it you'll find out fast its not all driver. A practice tree is great but the car has to react fast too.
right now it sixty foots in the 1.5 range. What I want to do is run some open comp stuff on a .400 tree because the car runs 7.60 on the eighth mile

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
I have only faced a pro tree a few times, i liked it. :)

I was in a manual, irs, mid 12 sec car, i managed to average around the .430 range.

If you are reacting a bit slow, just stage deeper. :p

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was in a manual, irs, mid 12 sec car, i managed to average around the .430 range.

If you are reacting a bit slow, just stage deeper. :p
With it being a 12 second car, what type of sixty foots did you have? What all did you do to that car to make it react faster?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts