Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would a Strange Pro Touring floater kit (#F5010) work for a blown bigblock street / strip car on 800hp / 3800lb? The kit has only 2 inch spindles...

Or could you recommend any other kit for 35 (or 31) splines axles? I think the Strange kit is pricey enough.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Would a Strange Pro Touring floater kit (#F5010) work for a blown bigblock street / strip car on 800hp / 3800lb? The kit has only 2 inch spindles...

Or could you recommend any other kit for 35 (or 31) splines axles? I think the Strange kit is pricey enough.

Thanks!
don't try to set a new level of 60' performance it will be fine at 800 hp.. but a blown BB engine with only 800 hp?

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I have built a couple rear ends with the Strange Eng.Touring floater kit.. Nice equipment and installation is straight forward with the proper equipment and housing axle tube ID.. In use there have been zero issues that i have seen.. One benefit is the wide array of brake options.. We used Willwood 14" rotors as both cars had large dia. wheels..

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have built a couple rear ends with the Strange Eng.Touring floater kit.. Nice equipment and installation is straight forward with the proper equipment and housing axle tube ID.. In use there have been zero issues that i have seen.. One benefit is the wide array of brake options.. We used Willwood 14" rotors as both cars had large dia. wheels..
Great info, thanks! I have looked around a lot but think Strange's Pro Touring kit seems to be the best for this price. What i was worried about was the "only" 2 inch spindles and the bearing distance. But beefier kits is way more expensive....

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Great info, thanks! I have looked around a lot but think Strange's Pro Touring kit seems to be the best for this price. What i was worried about was the "only" 2 inch spindles and the bearing distance. But beefier kits is way more expensive....
One of the cars we installed the floater kit on is used in road racing,, the two inch spindles are fine for him.. The main advantage of a floater in road racing is reduced or elimination of axle flex.. Axle flex in the corners causes the rotors to become misaligned with the calipers pushing the pads and pistons back into the caliper {especially with the large dia. brakes} this results in dragging brakes threw the corners and a low pedal next time the driver uses the brakes..

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
For the drag cars we use the big floater from Strange or MW primary for the added strength and the 40 spline axles.. The "Pro Touring" utilizes 35 spline axles, 35 is as large an axle we can get and still use a differential. {the Strange 35 spline S trac is an excellent and reliable diff for your street app}

Sounds like a salesman,, but I not,, I just build/maintain these things..

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
40 splines kit is $3060.00.... 3x the price and i also think it's overkill!? I have Detroit locker and 31 spline Strange SS axle's today, and it works but are going to build a more narrow - own setup modular rear axle.
My plan is to use 22.5" wide Hoosier tires, is that going to be a problem for the touring kit? This is for ProStreet on the street! :cool: I run today 18" wide tires.

Thanks!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I want a kit that can handle 1000hp, big tires and 3800lb.... :rolleyes: I would love the Strange or MW dragrace floater... but they costs more than my whole rear :(

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
40 splines kit is $3060.00.... 3x the price and i also think it's overkill!? I have Detroit locker and 31 spline Strange SS axle's today, and it works but are going to build a more narrow - own setup modular rear axle.
My plan is to use 22.5" wide Hoosier tires, is that going to be a problem for the touring kit? This is for ProStreet on the street! :cool: I run today 18" wide tires.

Thanks!
Look at the question this way,,,, The 2" floater with 35 spline axles will be light-years stronger than your current 31 spine set up..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts