Yellow Bullet Forums banner

6021 - 6040 of 6085 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
I'm certainly not building anything for Pro Stock, just piss ant 1000+ HP gen. 1 SBC. My next iteration is running .927" x 2.250" long x .215" wall H13 pins. I just measured crankshaft balance weights yesterday. The pins are 136.4 grams.

Jason G.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I'm certainly not building anything for Pro Stock, just piss ant 1000+ HP gen. 1 SBC. My next iteration is running .927" x 2.250" long x .215" wall H13 pins. I just measured crankshaft balance weights yesterday. The pins are 136.4 grams.

Jason G.
.787" x 1.800" DLC thick wall pin will handle that.

·
Registered
27,126 Posts
Another dumb thought. Why can’t they invent a roller lifter with a round ball bearing on the bottom that floats, and doesn’t take a link bar?

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Another dumb thought. Why can’t they invent a roller lifter with a round ball bearing on the bottom that floats, and doesn’t take a link bar?
Think about how small the contact area between the ball bearing and the lobe would be and how great the forces would be at that contact point

Stan

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Think about how small the contact area between the ball bearing and the lobe would be and how great the forces would be at that contact point

Stan
To make those lifters work and not have such a small contact area the face of the cam lobes would have to be concave. But if done there would be no need for link bars and the lifter could free spin like a flat tappet but with the performance of a roller. Now watch someone design it and become an uber-millionaire. Actually a really good idea with best of all worlds

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
A question for the PRO STOCK guy's how many runs do you get out of a lifter, or a cam before they are done?

Or do you just change them after so many? How many would that be?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
A question for the PRO STOCK guy's how many runs do you get out of a lifter, or a cam before they are done?

Thanks
V hasnt raced in awhile, so im kinda not really pro stock...lol. but ill give what i know
cams last indefinitely. Its tool steel and harder than a priests pecker with a new altar boy...lol
Lifters, ive not been able to make the clamshell wheel guided big lifter happy due to lack of r&d time. So our 1.095 stuff with a .950 wheel I would rebuild around 40-50 passes
When we were using the .937 stuff, 20-25 passes

We would typically regrind the tool steel cores, as they are expensive as hell, untill the base circle got too small. I could typically get 3-4 regrinds out of a core before i had to scrap it

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
To make those lifters work and not have such a small contact area the face of the cam lobes would have to be concave. But if done there would be no need for link bars and the lifter could free spin like a flat tappet but with the performance of a roller. Now watch someone design it and become an uber-millionaire. Actually a really good idea with best of all worlds
Yes machining the lobe like a bearing race would distribute the load much better. How more would that add to the cost of the cam? If the lifter rotated that means you could not run offset push rod seats in the lifter.

Stan

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
I completely forgot about offset pushrods. Thanks Stan. That changes things for sure. Yes it would raise the price to make the cam.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts

Thanks
I think you are getting an amazing amount of runs on your Comp Z bar .875 Hemi lifters. The tight lash definitely is contributing to this. Doubt that you really need a keyway lifter. If you did the North Carolina stuff is the best.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts

Thanks
Most cannot adjust their valves properly anyway. Their parts get hammered and they blame the lifters.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I don’t know if I’m right, but I set my lifters extremely tight. My thinking is that 0.020 feeler gauge ain’t gonna open a spring with 325# on the seat.
Not sure I'm understanding you statement. Are you saying a tighter lash makes it difficult to open a high seat pressure spring?

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
I'm sure he means won't move the spring @ 325 while setting the lash guys

Reactions: Mike Beck
6021 - 6040 of 6085 Posts