Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
34,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All at once Pro Stocks fields are growing. More pro stocks coming in which will push the fields to over 20. I think there were 20 at the Winternationals

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
It's great to see. Even better that there are a couple more engine builders getting in the game as well. All of the doom and gloom over PS the last few years but no one is talking about TF being three short which happens a few times a year.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I sure am glad Charlie Wescott showed them all how it should have been done, he kicked ass and took names!
Charlie gave it a good effort. He is mostly concentrating on his business and not racing. He did pretty good for the outdated stuff that he had to work with. He qualified at most of the races he attended. No one actually thought he would come out and qualify in the top half. Got to give him credit for attempting it on his own. There is no doubt on his engine building and driving capabilities.

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Charlie gave it a good effort. He is mostly concentrating on his business and not racing. He did pretty good for the outdated stuff that he had to work with. He qualified at most of the races he attended. No one actually thought he would come out and qualify in the top half. Got to give him credit for attempting it on his own. There is no doubt on his engine building and driving capabilities.
All of the above i realize, but he also made some stupid statements to a lot of the people that have been there and done that, to the extent of them being world champs, not smart in my opinion, just saying.

·
Registered
25,248 Posts
All of the above i realize, but he also made some stupid statements to a lot of the people that have been there and done that, to the extent of them being world champs, not smart in my opinion, just saying.
Ya, he pretty much made his own bed. If you can’t dominate in Comp, you ain’t gonna be shit in Pro Stock. And to state openly how Larry Morgan was basically an also ran, was a stupid statement. In my opinion. And I ain’t a Ford fan, but Larry was at least respectable. And Charlie did qualify, at the bottom, when only 16 cars or less showed up. I have nothing against him, I just think he’d of got some help had he handled it differently.

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Ya, he pretty much made his own bed. If you can’t dominate in Comp, you ain’t gonna be shit in Pro Stock. And to state openly how Larry Morgan was basically an also ran, was a stupid statement. In my opinion. And I ain’t a Ford fan, but Larry was at least respectable. And Charlie did qualify, at the bottom, when only 16 cars or less showed up. I have nothing against him, I just think he’d of got some help had he handled it differently.
Agreed, he did not need to piss on every one from the get go, and i have always liked Larry Morgan, and CW basically said Larry was full of shit.

·
Registered
25,248 Posts
Agreed, he did not need to piss on every one from the get go, and i have always liked Larry Morgan, and CW basically said Larry was full of shit.
Yes. I thought at the time, not a smart move. No offense, but Larry forgot more about Pro Stock. He’s the one who I think said, “Come on in, the water’s fine.”

·
Registered
35,621 Posts
In my opinion, there isn't much left to improve (NHRA 500-inch) PS other than increasing the exposure. Seemed like there was a lot more TV time devoted to them during the Winternats coverage than there's been in the past and that's a good thing. What else, exactly, are they going to do with the cars? I suppose they could make scoops/no scoops optional along with a choice of either EFI or carburetors, but that's about it. That's why all this endless discussion of what to do about PS may be fun to bat back and forth but it really doesn't accomplish anything and likely won't, short of manufacturers once again becoming involved.

You can't make money with a PS operation; well-heeled people run one either for the love of top-echelon doorslammer racing or a sponsor like Summit gets involved because they need a big tax writeoff. Increasing purses..which ain't happening...means little anyway; they wouldn't cover 10 percent of a major team's expenses if they were to win every race.

But speaking for myself, there's little that's more appealing than the snarl of a NA 500-inch engine at that power level, and watching 6.50/210mph passes, even if they're all Camaro-bodied. I'll sit there and watch 'em all day, all night. Long live Pro Stock.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
It was odd that Larry ended up with Ford. Ford wanted NHRA to switch Pro Stock to Production engines, Coyote, LS, and Hemi. Glendora shot that down and prodded Ford to get back into Pro Stock with Larry. The Ford racing Director at that time went ahead with Larry. That Mirror design head just isn't as successful as the wedge style symmetrical head. It wasn't a successful venture for Ford so they ended their affiliation with Larry. Ford has since then jumped into Factory Stock with the Cobra Jet program choosing to go with a production based race car. JMHO but i think a FS Coyote engine in a 2350 lb PS would be in the 6.50 range.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts