Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watching the first round, i noticed most of the cars ran 206. WJ and GA ran 208. How much horsepower is required to pick a PS car up 2 MPH?

·
Registered
876 Posts
i know that the guys running the highest mph are making <20 h.p. or so more than the other fellas. i talked to one guy that said he was in the dyno department for one of the pro stock teams. been working there for 6 years and has found 8 more h.p. through tuning. talk about a small margin of success.

·
Registered
469 Posts
i know that the guys running the highest mph are making <20 h.p. or so more than the other fellas. i talked to one guy that said he was in the dyno department for one of the pro stock teams. been working there for 6 years and has found 8 more h.p. through tuning. talk about a small margin of success.
Eight horsepower in six years? Are you sure you believe that? Gains are certainly harder and harder to come by, but consider this: six years ago in Reading, Jim Yates was on the pole with a 6.82 at 200.80. Martino was number-16 with a 6.85 at 200.26. Speeds less than 200 (199, etc.) were still commonplace. By way of comparison, this past weekend, Anderson was number-one qualifier with a 6.61 at 208.84, while Rickie Jones was number-16 with a 6.679 at 206.29. Performances are continuing to improve. We're talking about a difference of two tenths and 8 mph.

If Pro Stock teams were only seeing an improvement of 8 horsepower in 6 years, there would be no such thing as an obsolete engine.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
hard to say tire spin can give you more mph..

b.g would probley be the best in the know though
First off, stop believing that, spinning the tires does not result in bigger speed. If I spin the tires, then come back and make a nice run, it is quicker and faster. So please, stop believing that, BG

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Those guys are making a little more average power, but not alot, but they are making alot more power above 9700rpm. So that is where the speed is coming from, it is a tougher job to make a car that has all the power up high, leave the line correct. There are a few that are doing a good job, but not all that consistant. BG

1 - 13 of 13 Posts