Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question:

Always hearing about swapping in a new bullet when they Make noise, down on Power or Grenade

Do you have to get NHRA permission to Swap?
Do you have to have a Teardown Inspection, Measurment of pulled Engine?
Do all competitiers get Torn down or Just Winners and Random bikes.:-Yap

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
If its like the cars the NHRA tech guys have already been by and tagged the engines. If you want to make a change you have to notify the tech guys and they come by and check it. I am pretty sure thats the way it happens. Could be wrong.

·
Registered
273 Posts
They can run as many engines as they want in the same Chassis. Once an engine has been down the track in one Chassis it cannot be run in another one. Also you should be able to swap engines in between rounds so 20/40 min max.

·
Registered
344 Posts
20 minutes is very impressive .

We can get close to that on a Promod bike,but the closed in aero bodywork on a Prostock looks like a bitch.
Especially the airbox.

You guys have a lot of stuff crammed up under that fairing..

·
Registered
273 Posts
20 minutes is very impressive. To do this you have to have 2 crew guys on each side of the bike with well organized tools and a lot of in shop practice. Plus a thought out motorcycle. I believe a crew chief that is still out there said his team record was 18 minutes from start to finish. Now thats impressive!!

·
Registered
459 Posts
20 minutes is very impressive. To do this you have to have 2 crew guys on each side of the bike with well organized tools and a lot of in shop practice. Plus a thought out motorcycle. I believe a crew chief that is still out there said his team record was 18 minutes from start to finish. Now thats impressive!!
18 minutes is nuts.
Lots of organization and practicing to be able to do that.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Plus a thought out motorcycle.
THIS!!

Not all Chassis builders seem to understand the importance of little things like hardware standardizing

But that can be overcome.

We did one of Ashleys engine swaps in 26 minutes with 4 guys.
They might have done one quicker.. but I wasn't there if they did.
Ready to go engine... no parts swapping.
That was 4 guys.

well... three guys and Butch.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Question:

Always hearing about swapping in a new bullet when they Make noise, down on Power or Grenade

Do all competitiers get Torn down or Just Winners and Random bikes.:-Yap[/QUOTE

I sat in the pits and watched larry morgan change his engines.. it was during qualifying and it was about a 20min job but they also changed the rear gearing and adjusted the clutch. ..he barely made the next round of qualifying. He even asked my dad and I to help...

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Question:

Do all competitiers get Torn down or Just Winners and Random bikes.:-Yap[/QUOTE

I sat in the pits and watched larry morgan change his engines.. it was during qualifying and it was about a 20min job but they also changed the rear gearing and adjusted the clutch. ..he barely made the next round of qualifying. He even asked my dad and I to help...

This was at the southern nationals in atlanta this year

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I watched Scott Lewis and one other guy change a motor in his promod in about 45min which included a clutch swap, and I was very impressed. 18 minutes makes me feel like a really shitty mechanic.

At a leisurely pace, the motor comes out of my busa in about 40 minutes. With the luck i've had this year, i've gotten really familiar with the process. With the extremely tight front end, the header is probably the most time consuming single item involved with the motor going in/out.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
THIS!!

Not all Chassis builders seem to understand the importance of little things like hardware standardizing

But that can be overcome.

We did one of Ashleys engine swaps in 26 minutes with 4 guys.
They might have done one quicker.. but I wasn't there if they did.
Ready to go engine... no parts swapping.
That was 4 guys.

well... three guys and Butch.

Hey Jeff, call me please. Thanks, Ray.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I watched Scott Lewis and one other guy change a motor in his promod in about 45min which included a clutch swap, and I was very impressed. 18 minutes makes me feel like a really shitty mechanic.

At a leisurely pace, the motor comes out of my busa in about 40 minutes. With the luck i've had this year, i've gotten really familiar with the process. With the extremely tight front end, the header is probably the most time consuming single item involved with the motor going in/out.
Well like I said it was a record, In there shop doing it over and over again.

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
We could do a Pro Mod swap from a blower set up to a nitrous setup in 50-60 minutes. That was pulling the blower motor out, fuel cell, clutch, 3 speed lenco, driveshaft and third member then putting the nitrous motor in, radiator and fans 5 speed lenco, driveshaft, clutch and third member. It was a bitch but we did it atleast once a race for a season.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts