Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I Just received this from another site.

AMS done for 2006 and for the forseeabale future after this breaking news! Such a shame, but as you read you will undertsand why but it must be a tough decsion that for sure will have lingering effects felt all around the pro mod family for time to come! Looks like IHRA is going to be a busy place next year

Pro Mod Challenge Canceled for 2006

DALLAS (Nov. 7, 2005) — After an investment of millions of dollars and thousands of hours, AMS Staff Leasing President Dave Wood announced Monday that his company will no longer be a sponsor for the Pro Mod Challenge that has competed at NHRA national events for the past five seasons.

“AMS Staff Leasing has gladly invested in the Pro Mod Challenge over the past several years, but always with the hope of finding other sponsors who would join us in the effort,” said Wood, whose company took over as the Pro Mod Challenge’s title-rights sponsor before the 2002 season and also backed various entries driven most recently by Troy Critchley. “At this point, I feel that our company can no longer justify the expense, time, and effort that would be needed to maintain the series at the high level to which it is accustomed.

“This is one of the toughest decisions I’ve ever had to make. I have made many good friends and have many wonderful memories from racing with the NHRA. It is my sincere hope that another sponsor will step up in the near future to build on the work we did to make the Pro Mod Challenge a success. I would also like to personally thank all of the drivers, teams, fans, and sponsors who have supported our series for the last four years: I wish them all nothing but the best.”

Wood’s announcement comes just days after Torco Race Fuels owner Evan Knoll, through PR representative Bobby Bennett, withdrew his offer of future sponsorship for the Pro Mod Challenge, leaving AMS Staff Leasing without a financial partner and effectively canceling the 2006 season.

“This is a day I hoped would never come, both personally and professionally,” said Kenny Nowling, the Pro Mod Challenge series administrator since 2002. “Like Dave Wood, I have poured countless hours into making the NHRA Pro Mod class the best that it could be, and I have treated the Pro Mod Challenge like my fourth child. The success we’ve enjoyed, along with the many wonderful relationships I’ve established over those years, will always be memories I cherish.

“I think all Pro Mod drivers, teams, sponsors, and fans owe Dave Wood an enormous amount of gratitude: his investment, in both time and money, has been second-to-none. At the same time, as someone who is in business for himself, I can understand both Dave and Evan needing to make decisions that they feel are best for their companies and their futures.”

Wood and Dallas-based AMS Staff Leasing began sponsoring the Pro Mod Challenge in 2002, following NHRA’s limited one-year, five-event experiment with the class in 2001. Beginning with the 2002 season, the Pro Mod Challenge competed in at least 10 NHRA national events per year and steadily raised its profile through purse increases, rules changes, exciting championship battles, and some of the best side-by-side drag racing found in any class. The recently concluded 2005 season featured Mike Ashley winning his second consecutive AMS/TLR Cup world championship and Jay Payne posting the quickest and fastest Pro Mod runs ever recorded (6.000 at 239.23 mph).

“I had hoped that by working with [presenting sponsor] Tommy Lipar in 2005 and Torco Race Fuels in 2006 and beyond, we would ensure the continued development of the class,” Wood said. “However, much like I hope Pro Mod fans respect my decision, I respect the fact that Evan Knoll has a business to run. As a businessman, he had to make the decision that he felt was best.”

Based upon that information it would appear that the future of a series of Pro Mod races at NHRA National Events is very much in doubt, unless a company or individual decides to fund the series. :smt013 :smt013 :smt013 :smt013 :smt013 :smt076 :smt076 :smt076 :smt076 :smt076

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Wholesale changes in Super Stock and Comp, too. Makes me wonder why the sanction that would like to see the sportsman go away are expanding a sportsman class.

Noticed that they are noticing the popularity of turbos and 10.5 cars...

There's a link to this out there somewhere. I'll post it when I find it unless somebody else does first.

·
Registered
738 Posts
They had the torco deal done then NHRA started giving Evan Knoll (through race teams) a hard time about "approved nitro" mostly in response to his increasing involvment in IHRA fuel racing, first with the increased t/f purses and now funny car is back. The rumour mill says the folks in glendora were hoping he would take his fuel cars and go home but he decided against it. Instead he turned the team over to someone else, (leaving him free to litigate with NHRA) and pulled the pro-mod deal. I am torn on this one I will miss pro mod but anyone who goes toe to toe with the NHRA beauracacy (SP) is OK in my book. I am confident it was not Knoll's purpose to punish the pm guys We will have to see where the shit lands on this one.

·
Morrell Booster
6,893 Posts
Sorry about the PM class for NHRA but I would rather go to an IHRA event and see the Pro Mods and now the Fuel funny cars. I race and follow IHRA so I guess I got the best of both worlds(more Pro mods and now funny cars).

·
www.PelechBrosRacing.com
4,000 Posts
Do you really think NHRA is worried about one little fuel supplier? Or the racers he sponsors?

NHRA dumped a more then full class of long time, top shelf, pro/pro sportsman racers, sponsors, and factory backing when they slit pro-stock truck's throat. NHRA and it's attorneys tied up the PST deal for years before it settled out. I'm sure NHRA's attorneys are bored and looking for something to do now that PST is settled.

·
Administrator
136,626 Posts
You guys dont understand the inter workings of an organization. If you want to save the class and organization get off your asses and buy tickets. Sitting on the internet bashing the NHRA takes no balls. Pick up the phone if you have something to say!! :smt005

·
Registered
738 Posts
2091 said:
Do you really think NHRA is worried about one little fuel supplier? Or the racers he sponsors?

From competitionplus.com

11-3-2005) - An adverse situation within the NHRA was enough to motivate Knoll Gas Energy owner Evan Knoll to step up to the plate and deliver a nitro Funny Car division to the IHRA. That is the word coming to Torco's CompetitionPlus.com from a source close to the situation. Reportedly, a contract was signed on Wednesday evening and faxed to the IHRA bringing back the floppers for the first time since 1992.

We are told that it started with a letter delivered to certain drivers on the NHRA tour who have been running Torco Pro Nitro brand nitromethane over the course of the season.

Torco's CompetitionPlus.com obtained this letter from a driver who requested their identity remain anonymous in exchange for a copy.

October 10, 2005

Dear XXXXXX,

This letter is regarding your purchasing practices of nitromethane at NHRA national events. NHRA has obtained purchases records from the last third of the NHRA season and it shows you have not purchased the amount to correspond to the number of runs you have made in qualifying and eliminations.

According to the 2005 NHRA Rulebook, on page 202, under section 1:10 NITROMETHANE, it reads, "Only nitromethane from an NHRA-accepted supplier may be brought on site or used on site at any NHRA POWERade Drag Racing Seriesevent...NHRA will designate accepted suppliers of nitromethane that may be brought on site and/or used on site at NHRA National events. To be eligible for competition, fuel teams must use nitromethane from one of the accepted suppliers."

NHRA views your action in violation of this rule, and thus has placed you on probation. If, in the future, the amount of fuel purchased from the on-site supplier does not correspond to your racing actions, you shall be subject to such other penalty deemed appropriate by NHRA.

If you have any questions, give us a call.

Regards,

Don Taylor
NHRA Senior Director - National Technical Operations

The aforementioned "official supplier of nitromethane" rule was adopted early last season when it appeared that a price war was imminent. One race fuel supplier had procured the exclusive distributorship of the major brands in drag racing -Angus and Wego - and the price was expected to increase substantially. A Chinese-based supply was acquired by fuel team owner Don Schumacher, but before the initial supply could be shipped to the U.S. the NHRA named the previous suppliers as the only ones permitted to sell nitromethane during their etc etc and so on and so on ...............

Taken at face value it would seem that NHRA is worried about "one little fuel supplier" and the considarable clout he weilds with a rival orginization The extra cash that Knoll has negotiated in IHRA T/F and the addition of F/C at IHRA shows as well as the considerable assets of some of his friends, and business aquaintances could concievablly have some impact on the big boys.

As far as bashing NHRA goes Monty, I didnt .I dont race NHRA but I do watch it and when I do get out to watch It is where I buy my tickets. I like it when somthing happens to shake up the sport a little. When some so called "little guy"takes a shot at improving the bang for our buck at IHRA the boys in California are forced to look a little harder at the way they do stuff. The bottom line is better shows for everybody. Every few years its gotta happen, keeps things fresh.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm Sure someone will pick it up, there's is no phukin way that they will just kick all them guys to the curb. someone out there has a few million laying around they want to get rid of... :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts