Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
Really on a SBF the question should be 408 vs. 427....

A 408 is going to be done on a 351W block, so if you find a early one and put caps on it your going to have a cheaper piece to start with... the 427 needs a Dart or Ford Racing block to start from so it will cost more AND have more bore which is not a bad thing. All depends on what you want to do, I'm playing with a 4.030" bore stock block deal now because that's what we have to start with... but when you get 360+cfm on that bore out of a 20deg head you pretty much have what you need for most applications, but that is the nice thing about the SBF Windsor head design.

Really what do you want to do? Make a cheap street/strip motor or go balls out racing?

Bret

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 383 with a stock roller lock now have an opportunity to get a 427 with an 69 early model block
Street strip deal not balls out racing
Thanks

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 383 with a stock roller lock now have an opportunity to get a 427 with an 69 early model block
Street strip deal not balls out racing
Thanks

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
Ok so just more ARM in it..... just make sure you have some big heads on it. One thing I hate seeing is big ass motors with junk heads, they turn out to be better dump truck motors than hot rod motors.

Bret

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
Even then I would have them touched up by someone who knows what they are doing.... I've seen 255cc High Ports move only 320cfm

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
For a street/strip motor the 4.250" stroke is not that bad. I really don't like them in high rpm race motors, I prefer nothing over 4.100"-4.150". It is just my personal preference, but I do agree with big heads on the big motors!

·
Registered
454 Posts
If it was me I would just keep the 383 for a street car. Just less abuse on the internals than the 427.

So whats the cubes on that BBF there :smt118

1 - 18 of 18 Posts