Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone made one? I know a blow thru would be better but just curious if they is a how to to make a boost box

·
Registered
20,098 Posts
they sell them, one of the cent. blower co's used to supply them with their kit-I would be worried if ever a fuel leak in the box

·
Drag Week Survivor
14,413 Posts
Has anyone made one? I know a blow thru would be better but just curious if they is a how to to make a boost box
Box or no box, the carb would need the same exact modifications for the power you want to make.

A carb bonnet is the same thing as a box execpt for throttle shafts and they really are not a big deal.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I don't know about making one, but my now long-gone Paxton/Mustang installation used a 735 Holley in a cast aluminum enclosure. The only mods to the carburetor were the substitution of nitrophyl floats for the brass cans that originally came in the carb. The thin brass would bend where soldered to the arm after a quick let-off of the throttle. The surge of gasoline from the pressure-referenced fuel pump---there was a hose link from the base of the carb enclosure to the back side of the diaphragm in the pump---would slam the float so badly that the brass would wrinkle by the arm. Harold Droste, the Holley liaison to the Ford Racing Skunkworks at Triple E, gave me a set of not-yet-released nitrophyl floats. This cured the problem.

The 735 was the FE engine performance carburetor. Since I had it on a Shelby-spec 289 it seemed to work just fine. But perhaps Droste had done some interior work before he gave it to me.

KS

·
Registered
22,179 Posts
Please look into the old Olds 215" aluminum V-8 because it and the Corvair were two of the 1st turbocharged engines way back then.

The Olds had a pressurized hat that sealed on a ring on the intake manifold and had the carb throttle linkage sealed coming out the side below it. It had a 2-barrel on it.

I had both the Olds and a Buick and I still have the Buick's AFB 4-barrel aluminum intake out in the garage.

The 215" Olds also used alcohol/water injection to combat detonation under boost.

pdq67

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Look up Studebaker Golden Hawk, 1957 I believe. Supercharger- blow through carb. In 63 the Avanti, Hawk, Lark had an R3 option, carb in box, AFB or Carter?, Paxton supercharger.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts