Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hellow all i have been building restoring a 68 camaro for about the last 8 years on a budget ,well finally got the thing together and runing (in the prosses of wireing now ,then interior ) .The reason ive posted here is because ive got an engine problem .It is a 95 model r blockwith a 383 rotating assembly and hyd. roller cam with vorec heads .This is my problem after getting the block back from the "machine shop " (and i use that term loosely ) noticed the block had a sleve in no.7 .i dont no why this was a take out with24k miles .asked the guy he said it would not clean up at 30 over . well whatever it did not mater about the sleave ,and ive used sleved blocks many times before with tons more power .so i put it together now when i start the car the upper hose will get extremly tight and when i remove the cap there is pressure there with not much (maybe 5 minutes ) runtime .i have a carbon monoxide tester to check for a blown head gasket .Littel pump with 3 chambers and blue fluid if the fluid comes in contact with co it turns yellow when i checked it the fluid stays blue .but is it comon to have that much pressure with not much runtime ?the machineshop guy says ,ah its ok .im not sure ive spent as much as i can on this thing and its been a long time coming .but if it has to come out thats fine .i just want some feed back and oppinions about this thing one thing for sure wont be going back it this guy . so please help if you can .thank you yellow bullet

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no its not getting hot has a i90 t-stat and a 16 psi cap ive tested the cap and it is spot on 16 pounds the plugs look good and no water on em its just that with the engine dead cold i can have someone start it will i colaps the upper hose with my hand and it starty to swell up emediatly upon startup .if the head gasket was leaking would the cheaker luid not turn yellow ? thank you all for your questions and ill be interested in qanswering any that you have .just trying to figure this out
headslide

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
If you let it run does it push coolant out of the radiator? If it has a head gasket leaking, I think it should build over the 16lbs that you cap holds.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i can let it run and it doesnt push coolant out but i have not let it just idle ive driven it for a couple miles and when i come back the top hose was a lot of pressure ....ihave not hooked up the heatercore yet ...dont now how much pressure the vintage air stuff can take . maybe ill just drive the thing and see what the temp does .have to finish wiring first .could it bee im just gunshy about this hole thing .??i just dont feel that it should build that much pressure that fast .confused

1 - 6 of 6 Posts