Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have not started nova since last Sunday.
Went out and removed radiator cap to check and it geysered out if it and soaked me. Confused any thoughts?
Never gets hot or leaks anywhere.
Radiator filled mostly to top while running waterpump then cap installed.
Maybe over filled.
16 lb cap 6inches of hose to a small overflow can
Had it at track last Sunday.

383 sbc 12 lbs of boost
iron eagle platinums
D1sc.
non intercooled.
8.8 to one.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well
I just cycled my electric waterpump and noticed it was possibly air locked in heads.
My block is block filled and it took 3/4 gallon to fill back up.
I always cycle fans and pump to bring temps down if need be.
Maybe I need bypass tubes from back of heads to front or?

·
Registered
348 Posts
I know this sounds to simple but do you use Purple Ice or any other water additives. Purple Ice will pressure up the cooling system while the car is cool. I have been down that road before. I had to flush the radiator and engine about three times before it stopped. This was happening while the car was parked in the garage. I called Royal Purple and they said it can react with minerals in the water :rolleyes:. Mine actually filled the overflow tank and blew the upper hose off in the garage. After flushing that stuff out I converted to AN fittings for extra safety. Didn't want that to happen while making a pass down the track.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I even noticed some water in oil pan. Not noticeable on dipstick but I loosened drain plug and water leaked out around threads.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Have not started nova since last Sunday.
Went out and removed radiator cap to check and it geysered out if it and soaked me. Confused any thoughts?
Never gets hot or leaks anywhere.
Radiator filled mostly to top while running waterpump then cap installed.
Maybe over filled.
16 lb cap 6inches of hose to a small overflow can
Had it at track last Sunday.

383 sbc 12 lbs of boost
iron eagle platinums
D1sc.
non intercooled.
8.8 to one.
Worst case scenario is what all the other posters said.

But it could be an air pocket, the air gets compressed by the water. The water in the oil could be head gasket but it could also be condensation.....

Before you strip her down. Refill with no air pocket and see if you still have the same issue. It's cheaper than a full unnecessary strip down.

·
MFI on CH3OH
14,287 Posts
Give it a comp test with a compression tester, that will at least give you an idea if its hurt and what cylinder/s. Then go from there.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Im thinking for the small amount in pan that possible condensation.
I did not start car since last Sunday. But now this morning I go out and I can not squeeze upper hose it has too much pressure . Must be a chemical thing. I had cap off 3 times yesterday

·
Registered
517 Posts
This will do nothing for a damaged head gasket but it will throughly clean out the block, heads and ect..

Drain the entire cooling system, remove the thermostat and fill with hot water and 1 1/2 cups of desolved powder diswasher soap " it's non foaming" hook a charger to the battery and run the water pump for a 2 to 3 hrs. If there is contamination this will remove it w/o damaging anything. Make sure to flush out everything a few times and you should be good.

I only use distilled water, water wetter and good coolant.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This will do nothing for a damaged head gasket but it will throughly clean out the block, heads and ect..

Drain the entire cooling system, remove the thermostat and fill with hot water and 1 1/2 cups of desolved powder diswasher soap " it's non foaming" hook a charger to the battery and run the water pump for a 2 to 3 hrs. If there is contamination this will remove it w/o damaging anything. Make sure to flush out everything a few times and you should be good.

I only use distilled water, water wetter and good coolant.
I was thinking same thing. Ill do a cylinder leakdown test tonight or tomorrow morn. My buddies garage has real bad silver smell and that is what I mixed with antifreeze

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've found head gasket leaks with a leakdown test. Fill the cooling system completely, and leave the radiator cap off. When you do the leakdown, the radiator will start to over flow when you pressurize the cylinder with the leak. A cooling system pressure test will show a leak also. I once found a leak around a rocker stud that way. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Since I've seen what a crappy intake manifold gasket (fel pro's composite gaskets) and tap water can do to aluminum heads/intakes over time, I only use distilled water in the cooling system (along with some antifreeze). The surfaces were pitted and had mineral deposits on them. Now I've always got a gallon or two in the garage.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok new news.
Leak down shows great.
Ok my engine has had only antifreeze waterfront 50/50 mix since built.
The water that'd came out of pan I had sitting in a bottle on the bench. It evaporated over night. So now I really believe it is condensation. So if it was coolant it would not of evaporated.
As for pressure I think it is a chemical reaction im going to flush it out and use distilled water.
My depression is getting better

·
Registered
348 Posts
That's great! Distilled water is cheaper than the other fixes. I had to flush mine at least three different times before it stopped pressuring up in the garage. That was the only time I ever had the cooling system pressure up and I always used tap water. After that experience I only use distilled water now.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts