Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 40 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
My daughter wanted to go to art school, and we did bring her to a couple to look around. We talked her out of the art school saying “you will probably come out of this owing 150k and still have your same waitress job you have now”
I feel a little bad about “crushing her dreams” but I think I may have saved her from a lot of debt and a worthless degree, but she’s still sad about it, which makes me sad too.

she is just taking generals around the local college now because she’s not sure what she wants to do, I told her to be an electrician ... she stares at me.??
That stinks, but she can get a degree in a field that will allow her to support herself. There is no reason she can't enroll part time and pursue her dream while working a decent job.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Been touched on here, but the liberal Pocahontas Warren types knocking down $250,000+ a year for teaching a class she rarely even showed up for. Then you have tuition at these liberal infested universities touching six-figures and the staffs are top heavy with mega-money earning administrators and tenured professors. Regardless education must be affordable so the Gov't needs to make it affordable to all via low interest student loans so the students can afford those high price liberal schools. .
So what do we have Liberal Schools that turn out loads of liberal students, Big Bucks to everyone working in higher education, Demanding everyone needs to go to college and we need the Gov't to make a college education affordable.
JMHO the reason the Lib's like Warren and Sanders want to wash the student loans away is they feel guilty about selling them the near useless education they can't pay for..

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
That stinks, but she can get a degree in a field that will allow her to support herself. There is no reason she can't enroll part time and pursue her dream while working a decent job.
That’s kinda what I told her, “you can always do art”
We’re trying to figure out something she can make some money and use her artistic talents too, the wife suggested marketing, I dunno.

·
42,377 Posts
That apparently doesn't bother some on here a bit.
One's word or a contract doesn't mean a thing. Nothing is sacred if you can get everything for free.
You probably should work on comprehending it better...My stance is...IF bankruptcy is allowed on anything, it should be allowed on everything...Why should student loans be treated any differently than credit cards? Hell, you can get a student loan easier than you can get a credit card.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
What is there to think about? Why is it wrong to expect things to be equal? If a person has the legal right to file bankruptcy on ANYTHING, why shouldnt they have that ability on everything?
Because nobody will loan money to a snot nosed kid who doesn't know what he wants to do in life, At that age they don't have a credit history so they are a high risk. It's a guarantee that lenders will have a shot at getting their money back. If this goes through most people will never get a chance to got to college because it will take a cosigner or collateral to get a student loan. Student loans will be longer be available to most people.

·
42,377 Posts
Because nobody will loan money to a snot nosed kid who doesn't know what he wants to do in life, At that age they don't have a credit history so they are a high risk. It's a guarantee that lenders will have a shot at getting their money back. If this goes through most people will never get a chance to got to college because it will take a cosigner or collateral to get a student loan. Student loans will be longer be available to most people.
Sounds to me like it'll be the first step in correcting problems...A snot nosed kid that doesnt know what he wants to do in life, shouldnt be given the opportunity to be buried in debt...

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Can’t afford college?
The world needs ditch diggers too!
My kids never would have made it without student loans, Apparently you do not understand the consequences of people not going to college. How will you like going to visit a doctor/dentist and have nobody there to take care of you?
And if you do find someone there you better be prepared to pay double what you do now because there is a shortage now, Once nobody can afford to go to college....the few that do will be able to ask for much higher pay because the need will be much higher.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Sounds to me like it'll be the first step in correcting problems...A snot nosed kid that doesnt know what he wants to do in life, shouldnt be given the opportunity to be buried in debt...
That's what college admissions does, It points them in the right direction. All my kids went and talked to counselors to help figure out what they really wanted. They are all now making a good living and paying off that debt.

·
42,377 Posts
That's what college admissions does, It points them in the right direction. All my kids went and talked to councilors to help figure out what they really wanted. They are all now making a good living and paying off that debt.
The same loans will be available to the responsible people that are truly determined to make it...You act like there isnt a mess when it comes to the current student loan system...

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
The same loans will be available to the responsible people that are truly determined to make it...You act like there isnt a mess when it comes to the current student loan system...
How so? If anyone can file bankruptcy on student loans they will not be able to borrow at the rates they do now if they will qualify for a loan at all. The government is not going to be able to sustain a system where people are just allowed to file bankruptcy at any time and you know that's what will happen. Why pay back 80k or more when it costs a few K to get out of it. People are able to borrow money at a low rate because the risk is low, Make it a high risk proposition and suddenly school loans are 19% or more or you have to have some kind of collateral or a cosigner to get it any lower. Home loans are low because they use the home as collateral, How does that work for a college loan?

·
Idiot Savant
164,847 Posts
It's okay. The world is chock full of itinerant artists, and it's a good thing that she learns now that it's an okay hobby, but very few ever make a living at it.

Same for singers that thank God for their "instrument." STFU....the world is full of people that can sing.

·
Idiot Savant
164,847 Posts
How so? If anyone can file bankruptcy on student loans they will not be able to borrow at the rates they do now if they will qualify for a loan at all. The government is not going to be able to sustain a system where people are just allowed to file bankruptcy at any time and you know that's what will happen. Why pay back 80k or more when it costs a few K to get out of it. People are able to borrow money at a low rate because the risk is low, Make it a high risk proposition and suddenly school loans are 19% or more or you have to have some kind of collateral or a cosigner to get it any lower. Home loans are low because they use the home as collateral, How does that work for a college loan?
Precisely the point. They should be able to borrow.

·
42,377 Posts
Of course some loans have collateral...Now tell me how good that collateral is once a low life destroyed it? You dont think the lenders lose thousands?

In order to fix the system, you have to completely overhaul the system...Make the loans bankruptable(my new word, get over it), and make the loans harder to get...That will weed out the loser users, will cut down on the number of loans, and will subsequently make the colleges clean up their act too...

They build expensive campuses, pay ignorant professor salaries, and overall waste shit tons of money...And they do that because they know the system is broken, and they will keep raking in millions from the government loans...Force responsibility back on the borrowers, as well as the colleges that are getting the money...The problems will fix themselves after that.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Their products are not worth what they are charging, shrinking the number of people that can afford to go will force them into competition.
Trade schools are a great option.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
My kids never would have made it without student loans, Apparently you do not understand the consequences of people not going to college. How will you like going to visit a doctor/dentist and have nobody there to take care of you?
And if you do find someone there you better be prepared to pay double what you do now because there is a shortage now, Once nobody can afford to go to college....the few that do will be able to ask for much higher pay because the need will be much higher.
Hit a nerve did I?

I never claimed nobody should go to college, I claimed the world needs labor as well!
There’s nothing worse than digging ditch’s with Art and Philosophy majors, fucking bores!

21 - 40 of 92 Posts