Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im about to possibly buy a new home and obviously all properties for sale do not have a shop on the property (although i have looked at a couple that did). Are there any of you guys that have personal experience dealing with some of these Pre Fabbed metal building companies?? Are there any that standout? Things i should be aware of?
Im lookin to build at least a 30x30 or slightly larger shop. Ive seen 30x30's go for about 8 to 10,000 dlrs. What about total cost??
This is my first property purchase and i want to be as prepared as possible. Thanks for any help or advise:)!!

·
Registered
41,364 Posts
This is my first property purchase and i want to be as prepared as possible. Thanks for any help or advise:)!!
Stop at the town hall and ask the local building gestapo how he feels first. Nothing wrong with a quality steel building.

·
Drag Racing Is My Buisnes
2,271 Posts
Hey guys im about to possibly buy a new home and obviously all properties for sale do not have a shop on the property (although i have looked at a couple that did). Are there any of you guys that have personal experience dealing with some of these Pre Fabbed metal building companies?? Are there any that standout? Things i should be aware of?
Im lookin to build at least a 30x30 or slightly larger shop. Ive seen 30x30's go for about 8 to 10,000 dlrs. What about total cost??

http://www.deansteelbuildings.com/

Dean Steel Buildings
239-334-1051

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stop at the town hall and ask the local building gestapo how he feels first. Nothing wrong with a quality steel building.

Will do, im sure the building fuhrer will have some good input. Might can even steer me to a contractor to do the job. Thanks!

·
Un-Official YB Tormentor
5,087 Posts
One rule to remember.

You NEVER have to redo overkill.

Build it strong. Build it right. Build it bigger than you think you'll need.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Make sure you're also aware that the 10k price most likely doesn't include concrete floors, insulation, wiring, lights, plumbing, etc. I just got done building a 40x60. It was roughly 30k including concrete, insulation, and water run to it. I still haven't finished the electrical or plumbing inside yet. Keep in mind this is not a prefab building, but a metal building built by a contractor. Just putting out there the additional costs.

·
Medium Pimpin'
2,800 Posts
I builit a 30X60X15 building for a buddy. First off there are 30 sections that are 2 feet wide. This equals about 15,500 bolts. Don't tighten a single one!!! Ask me how I know. You have to build it all loose and then go back over it to tighten them. It's not cheap to pay somone to do it. Do it your self and just pay for the roll up door install. We did the whole thing in 2 weekends. (not including the 3 times we took the bastard down because the panels stopped fitting due to the bolts being tight)

·
Medium Pimpin'
2,800 Posts
Make sure you're also aware that the 10k price most likely doesn't include concrete floors, insulation, wiring, lights, plumbing, etc. I just got done building a 40x60. It was roughly 30k including concrete, insulation, and water run to it. I still haven't finished the electrical or plumbing inside yet. Keep in mind this is not a prefab building, but a metal building built by a contractor. Just putting out there the additional costs.
Right on. The concreat slab was around 20K plus the wiring and spray on insulation were another 10K. Total cost was around 60K after permits and other misc crap. Take it from my experiance. The 5K for the base plated (not included in the building) are worth every penny.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I looked at several kits and ended up having a contractor piece build and put mine in, all welded (not bolted beams) and his installed price was within 1500 of just the kit from Mueller that I still would have had to install, rent a lift, etc...

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I builit a 30X60X15 building for a buddy. First off there are 30 sections that are 2 feet wide. This equals about 15,500 bolts. Don't tighten a single one!!! Ask me how I know. You have to build it all loose and then go back over it to tighten them. It's not cheap to pay somone to do it. Do it your self and just pay for the roll up door install. We did the whole thing in 2 weekends. (not including the 3 times we took the bastard down because the panels stopped fitting due to the bolts being tight)
Im certainly not beyond doing it myself and im confident in my concrete skills. Were the sections heavy enough to need a lift or could they be hoisted up some scaffolding?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I looked at several kits and ended up having a contractor piece build and put mine in, all welded (not bolted beams) and his installed price was within 1500 of just the kit from Mueller that I still would have had to install, rent a lift, etc...

What was the end cost if you dont mind me asking?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Right on. The concreat slab was around 20K plus the wiring and spray on insulation were another 10K. Total cost was around 60K after permits and other misc crap. Take it from my experiance. The 5K for the base plated (not included in the building) are worth every penny.
60K ...........YIKES!!!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,422 Posts
I used Arco Buildings for my 30X40X10 kit about 10 years ago and was very happy. I had the concrete, erection, and wiring done by local contractors. Build bigger than you need now, you will fill it up, and it will never be cheaper, however you may be limited to how big you can build by local code. http://www.arcosteel.com/

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^^^^ Not sure with the local code but one home im eyeing is in a very rural area,hopefully the rules will be more leniant out there. Are those 10' ceilings high enough to use a post lift?? How much would you say you have tied up in it? Thanks dude!

·
time to go racing yet ?
33,399 Posts
i have 2 steel buildings , they are ibeam type . the one is a 40x60 cost was around 14k has a 13' ceiling , also have a 25x60 {special order} cost about 12k it hs a 16' ceiling . both where got from http://www.steelfactory.com/ they are the company who makes olympia buildings . they are top notch . and built good .

when we put the 40x60 up just me and another guy did the whole building in a week . and thats not working on it every hour . mainly 4 hours a day .

they have good prices check them out .

they are good with coding to . they will get you the blue prints to get approval and everything is stamped drawings .

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
^^^ The 40x60 did you have to rent a lift or skyjack?? You guys got that thing up pretty quick!!! Did you have to pour a footer into your slab?? I'll check em out! Its just nice to hear first hand experiences!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts