Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get my dad a Prarie dog hunt for Christmas. Any recommendations on who to use. He always wanted to go. But never would spend the money on himself. I found a place in Kansas called 10 gauge outfitters. Anybody ever hear or dealt with them? Thanks in advance.

·
SMOKED IT
3,275 Posts
I have never heard of them, sorry. But I would argue, why pay an outfitter for prairie dogs? When you can go to almost any BLM land in Eastern Montana, North Dakota, Wyoming, and South Dakota and shoot as many as you want.

·
Registered
13,414 Posts
I want to get my dad a Prarie dog hunt for Christmas. Any recommendations on who to use. He always wanted to go. But never would spend the money on himself. I found a place in Kansas called 10 gauge outfitters. Anybody ever hear or dealt with them? Thanks in advance.
What time of the year would he be going? You dont want any part of the Dakotas in January or February.

ND and SD have huge populations of prairie dogs and most land owners in the western part of the state usually let people on their land to kill as many as possible. I would wrap it into a coyote/prairie dog trip.

Any outfitter located on the central to West side of ND or SD will treat you right. That Dakota nice reputation is in full force with most guides.

You may want to try to message zbrown here. He has land in S.W. North Dakota and may be able to help you out or at least recommend a guide service.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What time of the year would he be going? You dont want any part of the Dakotas in January or February.

ND and SD have huge populations of prairie dogs and most land owners in the western part of the state usually let people on their land to kill as many as possible. I would wrap it into a coyote/prairie dog trip.

Any outfitter located on the central to West side of ND or SD will treat you right. That Dakota nice reputation is in full force with most guides.

You may want to try to message zbrown here. He has land in S.W. North Dakota and may be able to help you out or at least recommend a guide service.
Probably looking at June or july. 10 gauge outfitters is in Kansas. Thank for you input/advice.

·
Registered
162 Posts
You need to go earlier, April - May When the pups come out, to get your money's worth if you go june -july the the good towns will all be shoot out and not worth paying for, still a lot of fun for a new guy with one rifle but not worth paying for.

·
Gremlin Hunter
3,279 Posts
I have never heard of them, sorry. But I would argue, why pay an outfitter for prairie dogs? When you can go to almost any BLM land in Eastern Montana, North Dakota, Wyoming, and South Dakota and shoot as many as you want.
^^^ This.....

·
Gremlin Hunter
3,279 Posts
What is the most popular cal. for these dirty dogs?
If you want them explode, 204 Ruger, 220 Swift or 22-250.

I've shot them with 300WM, .308, 22LR, 375H&H and .243WIN.

.223 is the most common caliber you'll see out there, and I usually bring several thousand rounds of it for a weekend. But you can shoot them with anything. Just be aware of whats down range. Cattle are usually the biggest concern.

·
Registered
8,226 Posts
I popped 2 this year while scouting for elk. 10” ar, can and 62 grain ballistic tips(62 I think) and the slap of that bullet was incredible! 70 yards off hand and 60 yards off hand, only a red dot. Woulda shot more but had better things to do. I was surprised how many prairie dogs live in northern Az. Flagstaff area. M

Btw, a .17 hmr is pretty ideal on them.

·
Registered
112 Posts
17 wsm works great..............

·
Registered
18,300 Posts
What is the most popular cal. for these dirty dogs?

Depends on range and how much fun you want to have. We try to shoot long range using 22-250s but my choice is 243 WSSM 55 grain at 300-400 with bull barrels using bench rest. Closer ranges I use an AR15 because ammo is cheaper and the barrels cool off quicker.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Quiet small caliber rounds are usually best. Loud big rounds and you’ll spend most of your time waiting for them to resurface.

·
Smart Ass Conservative
95,513 Posts
What do you do with them?
There usually isn't enough left of one to do anything with them . Its just eradication of a nuisance .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts