Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went snowboarding all day yesterday and was exhausted after a day on the mountain and a 3.5 hr drive home...I was beat!
Around 11:30 at my wife wakes me up saying she just heard something like a metal pan fall and that it woke her and the dog up. I I lied their for a few minutes, didn’t hear anything and eventually fell back asleep. Well, she wakes up this morning and starts getting ready for work and said there’s brywall on the floor in the laundry room and she couldn’t see where it came from. I get nervous thinking we have a water leak or something and head down to take a look. As soon as I walk into the room I knew what had happened and just needed to put the pieces together.

Rewind to two days prior...My wife and I were out for a walk Saturday when my next door neighbor asked if I had an AR tool kit. I said no, and we went about our walk. The wife asked what he was talking about and how did I understand what he meant. I explained it to her as we walked along how you can purchase ARs in pieces so you can build\assemble it your self.

well, last night said neighbor somehow discharged a .300 blackout in our direction. The round went through my fence, house siding, bathroom drywall into my laundry room wall and lodged in between the walls. Needless to say, I saw the holes, walked out side and saw the hole in the fence and was extremely pissed, MOTHER FUCKER! By the time I got back inside the wife had called the police and they were on their way. They made a report, confronted my neighbor and he stated his side of the story and accepted responsibility. Not 100% sure how it went. I wasn’t invited to that conversation 🤬🥵
so, now I have 3 drywall holes to patch and my wife is livid and won’t even go into the room where the round entered the house.

I haven’t confronted him yet but his wife sent me a text after the police showed up at their door At 5:30 in the morning.

my real concern is the guy had the weapon pointed in MY direction. It discharged and he didn’t even have the balls or thought process to make sure everyone was safe. What a fucking unsafe Asshole move! Not clearing or dry firing a weapon pointed at a dwelling. the good news is, we’re safe but needless to say tension will be HGH among us until I know the whole story.

·
Super Moderator
46,932 Posts
You are going to confront him about this, right,....if not for any other reason, just to let him know what a dumb fuck he is?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm sure his excuse was "I was cleaning it and it just went off...."
Well the plot thickens. He rang my doorbell and came clean. He was building a new 300 and had a friends blackout as an example, as he googled the the shit! He was IN HIS HOUSE with his son, wife and daughter. He and his boy(15) were checking the build assembly and the borrowed gun had a live round in it. He stated he had cleared it and removed the mag and then pulled the trigger, BANG. The shit went through his wall, my fence and into my house.

I guess it never crossed his mind to come over and confront me that night and to make sure we were safe! Probably because everything he does is left handed because he has a beer 🍺 or sig in his other hand.

Needless to say, he now has a court date with the judge. I haven’t received a copy of the police report but at a minimum he was sited for reckless handling of a firearm.

Reckless handling of firearms; reckless handling while hunting. A. It shall be unlawfulfor any person to handle recklessly any firearm so as to endanger the life, limb or property of any person. Any person violating this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are going to confront him about this, right,....if not for any other reason, just to let him know what a dumb fuck he is?
He grew a pair and rang my doorbell this afternoon. Too late, the damage is done! No woulda shoulda coulda about it, YOU FUCKED UP! You put your family’s life and mine in danger due to a careless act!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
A simple defense would be "I did it because my neighbor is to white"

It would add some humor if in fact you were black.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
Basic gun handling is so simple I can’t believe how often it isn’t followed. I’m not perfect and I wouldn’t say I’m a Safety Sally, but you can bet your ass that I KNOW FOR SURE what the status of a firearm is before I pull that trigger.

·
Registered
5,530 Posts
Yep, a lot of people don't have a fucking clue about gun safety but think it is cool to own guns. Glad you and the family are OK.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Something's not right............. WHY would have live rounds near a gun your "building"? Common sense would tell you, build it THEN test it on a range. Most shooters have a gun bag & someplace to work on their stuff. Just my opinion, but I'd push the Prosecutor for jail time.........

·
Registered
15,095 Posts
He ignored three of the big four.

1. Treat all firearms as if they are loaded.
2. Never allow the barrel to point toward anything you are not willing to destroy.
3. Never place your finger on the trigger until you are ready to fire.
4. (Not applicable here, because there was no "target") Know your target and what is beyond it.

He always keeps a beer or sig in one hand? P226? 229? 320? Take care. Tom Worthington

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,806 Posts
He didn't clear shit, if he pulled the trigger and it went bang....

How the hell does a round stay in the chamber?
An extractor that doesn't work. But that would be on the gun he was attempting to build, not a known good gun I would assume.
Either way, guy should have his ass kicked, and do it again the next day for good measure!

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
The thing that caught my eye was the OP aid he was told his neighbor was "building" the gun. With live rounds in it? My idea this tool was showing his kids the gun & he simply didn't clear it. In Az. he'd be charged with "Reckless Endangerment" , felony, among other things............

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
An extractor that doesn't work. But that would be on the gun he was attempting to build, not a known good gun I would assume.
Either way, guy should have his ass kicked, and do it again the next day for good measure!
I was going to edit my post Mike as I was thinking how he plausibly would have done it but it comes back to the fact that you pull the mag first, then clear the weapon. Only excuse for this scenario is there was a round in the mag and he cleared it with an empty chamber and chambered a round from the mag...

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I hope the judge gives this guy the most he can.
This crap should never happen & when it does,
it should be a reminder to all!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was going to edit my post Mike as I was thinking how he plausibly would have done it but it comes back to the fact that you pull the mag first, then clear the weapon. Only excuse for this scenario is there was a round in the mag and he cleared it with an empty chamber and chambered a round from the mag...
That was my impression. He probably THOUGHT he cleared the chamber, but he actually loaded another round. After talking with him, it sounded as if he doesn’t have any semi auto experience just bolt actions.

One would think he would have removed the mag, cleared it, and Visually inspected it!

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
WOW!!!
so glad that you and your family are safe!

·
Registered
21,342 Posts
About a thousand years ago, I found an old .22 in the attic, old Remington with the stock tube magazine. FIRST thing I did was open the bolt. There was a fired round in the chamber, and the extractor would not pull it out. I got it down and was screwin with it trying to get it to extract. I pulled the trigger a few times so doing. After several times IT PUT A BULLET INTO THE FLOOR. Thank God (might have been a short) it did not go into the living room below

I was maybe 17 at the time, but I've been a LOT more careful ever since

1 - 20 of 67 Posts