Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking at buying a 1-wire powermaster alternator for my fox. I was originally looking at a more expensive model from them but I stumbled on this one.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/PWM-8-57100

Does anyone run one of these or know if they would be ok for street driving? The car will have lights, electric fan, electric water pump, msd 6al, and no hvac or stereo.

Thanks.

·
Registered
9,933 Posts
I’m looking at buying a 1-wire powermaster alternator for my fox. I was originally looking at a more expensive model from them but I stumbled on this one.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/PWM-8-57100

Does anyone run one of these or know if they would be ok for street driving? The car will have lights, electric fan, electric water pump, msd 6al, and no hvac or stereo.

Thanks.
If you cant find what you want, check out Jones Racing Products. He has many different alternators, pulleys, etc. for racing/street driving. Very nice stuff and knowledgeable sales guy.
http://www.jonesracingproducts.com/

·
Registered
475 Posts
Why not just use a factory stock large case 130 amp Ford 3G alternator, puts out 80 amps at idle and over 160 max(their underrated). Internally regulated, simple 2 wire install, just BAT(+) and 12v trigger wire(Ignition wire) to energize the alternator to start charging. I use one on my Ranchero and it has no issue running dual electric fans, electric fuel pump, decent stereo system and just about any other load I place on it, even at idle. They can be found at any auto parts store, so if problem arises it can be replaced quickly rather than having to wait on one from an online supplier.

This image shows a 95 amp 3G wiring diagram, a 130 amp 3G would be the same except a 175 amp mega fuse would be used.

I use the 7.00" pivot mount for my application, fit the original Ford 1G alternator brackets with no mods. Hope this is helpful in some way.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
It'll be fine, but a stock alternator will work just as well and likely cost less.......
I used a 140 amp powermaster and it maintained 14.8 Bolts at idle which is when you need it if you have electric water pump and fans
,fuel pump ect.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
It'll be fine, but a stock alternator will work just as well and likely cost less.......

Stock Foxbody alt won't cut it. OP didn't say what yr his is, but the stock 85 alt on mine would over heat and the voltage would drop in about 15 mins of drive time. This after going EFI,electric fan,fuel pump/water pump...

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I highly recommend the Powermaster alternators and Starters. I have had good results with both.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Thumbs up for both Powermaster and Jones. Use both of these companies with great satisfaction.

And do yourself a favor. Unless you know for sure what you need. Don't let some guy from Summit, or whatever, tell you what you need. Call the company that makes the part, or one of their dedicated dealers, and go over what you are doing and let them assist you with parts options so you can decide from an informed position.

Furthermore, even if you think you know what you need, they are always revising and adding new products. How would you know if you don't ask?

It's ok to get ideas on line but before you purchase it is best to ask.

Just my $.02

Good luck

·
Registered
16,475 Posts
Stock Foxbody alt won't cut it. OP didn't say what yr his is, but the stock 85 alt on mine would over heat and the voltage would drop in about 15 mins of drive time. This after going EFI,electric fan,fuel pump/water pump...
My experience was similar, voltage would drop to low 13's after engine compartment got hot even with a 200 amp alternator. Problem went away with a heavy duty voltage regulator AND a dedicated 4ga ground from the alternator housing to the cylinder head. For some reason the bracket bolts just don't cut it for a sufficient ground. With this the voltage stays just below 14 volts when up to temperature.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it.

The car is an 86 that was a 4 cylinder that I swapped in my 347 and 5 speed.

The alternator I have is the 1g alternator from my 85 that the engine came out of, it’s only rated at 65 amps I believe.

I was wanting to go with a 1 wire alternator instead of the Ford 3g mainly because when I swapped the engine I also smoothed the engine bay and will be doing a wire tuck, so I want to keep all the wires in the engine bay, and the rest of the car, to a minimum. I’m also re wiring the car from scratch with an EZ Wiring kit, so a couple less wires just makes it easier for me. The prices, from what I saw when I searched, the 3g alternators are about 160-170 +core charge where as this powermaster is only 130.

I planned on going with the 100 amp because the output is almost twice what it was from factory and will have new and larger wires connected to it, so voltage drop shouldn’t be an issue. Calling Powermaster and asking what they recommend is something I’ll probably do his week.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts