Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a used stock case Neal glide with a pro brake a few years back. Went to freshen it up before I put it in the car, and the whole thing was burnt down. Band and high clutches. Pump body was worn pretty bad around the gears so I put another pump half in it as well. Well, I made one burn out and it quit pulling. Tore it down and seen that the lining came off of the band. Burnt the high gear clutches as well from limping the car back to the trailer, so I thought. Put it back in the car, made about 15 dyno pulls, and 6 track passes with no issues. Went to the track again, did a burnout and bumped it into high gear and the tires quit spinning. I didn't know it at the time, and proceeded to make a pass. Didn't notice anything abnormal with the trans during the pass. Get back to the trailer and I was informed of what happened. Then I applied the t-brake at the trailer and the car creeped backward a few inches before it held. Never done that before. Put a pressure gauge on the servo cover today and it has about 175 idling in low and spikes 200 with the throttle. Put it in high gear, and has identical pressure. Apply the t-brake and it drops to 50 but recovers within a split second back to 175. Now this is cold psi, so I would imagine that it would decrease a bit when hot. It has a kevlar lined band, and alto clutches, or had I should say. Now I didn't think at the time it would be enough to cause a failure, but the pump stator does have some slight scoring where the pump gears ride. I didn't replace it because it is machined for a bearing, and didn't have any way to machine another stator body. I'm beginning to wonder if that could be the problem, or maybe even a cracked case? The trans always air checked good. I'm lost at this point, and not really the type of person to give up on something. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
19,729 Posts
What is the band setting as of now? I assume the trans is still working and shifting fine other than the creep backwards on the transbrake?
What type of application are you using the trans in? (turbo, blower etc?)

Hutch

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The band is set to 3-1/2 turns out. It still moves on its own power, but the fluid has got hot and now has a smell to it. I didn't make another pass after I found the tires stopped spinning in the burnout. I drained the fluid last night and it has fine particles of friction material in it. Its a small block nitrous car 3000lbs. I'm going to pull the trans out today and see what all burnt up this time. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pulled the trans down and everything looked great. I checked the band adjustment before I tore it down and it was 4-1/4 turns out, which is why it would back up for second. Took apart the converter, and it looks like a snap ring that holds the diode into the turbine failed, causing the diode to move around. The converter is all tore up. I'm going to call Marty tomorrow and see what can be done about it. It had 6 1/8th mile passes on the converter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts