Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, wondering where somone would get some info to go about rebuilding a powerglide as well as upgrading one on their own? it's a transmission specialties unit, i emailed them, they won't give me any info, but would be nice to know some of the clearances and such, some of the do's and dont's.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
There are plenty of us on here who do transmissions and willing to help out. Clearances are not a huge issue. If it has a thrust washer up front I prefer to run about .025" end play. If it has a Torrington for front thrust then I tighten things up a bit to .005". A general rule of thumb for clutches is .010" to .015" per friction for clearance. Band adjustment I tighten in to 72 in/lbs and back off the bolt 3 3/4 turns and then snug the locknut. Check the front pump for gear and gear cavity wear. I prefer to keep it under .008" for drive gear to crescent clearance. Check the stator half of the pump for any gear wear; may need resurfacing if it's grooved up. Take your time with the piston seals; they're not that hard to do. Soak the band/frictions in clean trans fluid before assembly. I also recommend replacing the pressure regulator spring at service intervals; they work in a hot environment just like valve springs and it's a cheap investment. Check all gears/bushings/bearings/etc for wear and replace as needed. Those are a few quick things that come to mind.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts