Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
TwistedTerror
4,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my glide apart for inspection, I was searching through my glide book by Carl Munroe. And it shows drilling the thrust face lube hole to .110"

Is there any down sides of doing this? Also, the book says drill through only 3/8 of an inch...But the hole is deeper than that. If making the hole larger is recommended by you guys, would it be a good idea to make the whole hole the same size all the way through. Just wanted to ask before I do it! Also it is a TCI reman pump.

·
TwistedTerror
4,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am using a thrust washer still

·
TwistedTerror
4,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just to pick your brain, not questioning you out of disrespect. But what does the bearing offer over the thrust washer? Just want to know out of curiosity. Thanks Hutch...

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Just to pick your brain, not questioning you out of disrespect. But what does the bearing offer over the thrust washer? Just want to know out of curiosity. Thanks Hutch...
Easier rotation. Less friction.

·
TwistedTerror
4,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok makes sense. Roughly how much needs taken off the pump and what bearing will I need? Before I was running .030" endplay with a washer...Which I felt was a bit snug. It liked to creep in neutral when I revved it.

·
Super Moderator
19,698 Posts
Because the trans grows when high gear is selected. If you try to maintain any decent level of endplay in the trans , it will all go away when you select high gear and promptly destroy a thrust washer.

Hutch

·
TwistedTerror
4,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I fully understand that, that'll get done before it goes together. How much endplay would you recommend using the bearing. And what is the bearing part number? Thanks for that info also!

2,155 Posts
Bearing is a 56241 that will easily install onto your pump.

Hutch
Yep '97 up Ford 4R/5R bearing. Pricy little item.

As far as endplay I like it a little tight .005-.010 I have even run a few "low only dirt cars" less than .005 with no issues. I have done a few units that took the bearing without any machining needed and still had .005-.010 endplay.

·
TwistedTerror
4,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh its a ford bearing, I was figuring it was in a way made for a glide. Either way, that's cool. Thanks for the reply guys. Im not sure how thick that bearing is, but I know with the washers I was using (I will measure later) I had .030" of endplay. Maybe after measuring the washers, one of you could tell me if I should expect to have the pump machined.

·
Registered
478 Posts
On a door car this is all a waste of time.
If that bearing makes contact look to lose 2-3 MPH in the ¼.

The bearing was started for REDs with a coupler
The coupler would bottom out and hammer on the tail shaft.

And then some thought it would cool to have a Torrington bearing in their tranny.
You make more money on it so it ok.
The only thing that it can do for you is slow you down if it becomes loaded.

·
Super Moderator
19,698 Posts
Hey Ralph. Assemble a trans and set end play the same, lets say .015" . Now air test and you tell me if you can even turn the output shaft on the washer trans.

Where do you come up with this 2-3 mph loss with a bearing? What does a RED require a bearing for over a door car for?

Hutch

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Ralph , You my sir are INDEED full of Sh*t..............
LOL. At least you are not a hypocrite :D. Take it easy on him though, just out of respect for an older guy :).

1 - 20 of 45 Posts