Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Too Strong, For Too Long.
26,672 Posts
I'm not sure. I'll have to check next time I'm at the track.
The other way to check the stall, and if this converter does have a sprag you don't wanna do this but one time because it's not good for it, so make it good the first time.

Pull the leave chip, put it in low, push the TB button looking at the tach and deck it wide open. Observe the highest rpm.

Make sure there's nothing in front of the car in case of whatever could go wrong, might.

·
26,672 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The other way to check the stall, and if this converter does have a sprag you don't wanna do this but one time because it's not good for it, so make it good the first time.

Pull the leave chip, put it in low, push the TB button looking at the tach and deck it wide open. Observe the highest rpm.

Make sure there's nothing in front of the car in case of whatever could go wrong, might.
6600 rpm

·
26,672 Posts
If you shift at 7400 rpm plus it should be fine. I could run through a million questions on the engine, it's cam, heads, power etc, etc but this is the short version > Is it stout enough to shift 7400-7600? It's a Reher Morrison I'm pretty sure it is.

I run a 6300 in this car it has a set of out of the box Brodix T1 heads and a 700 Bullet roller cam shifted 7200.

IDK 6600 could be a hair loose but it sounds to me like it needs more gear or shorter tire.

·
Registered
30,226 Posts
If you shift at 7400 rpm plus it should be fine. I could run through a million questions on the engine, it's cam, heads, power etc, etc but this is the short version > Is it stout enough to shift 7400-7600? It's a Reher Morrison I'm pretty sure it is.

I run a 6300 in this car it has a set of out of the box Brodix T1 heads and a 700 Bullet roller cam shifted 7200.

IDK 6600 could be a hair loose but it sounds to me like it needs more gear or shorter tire.

I call B.S.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

It's a reher morrison 540

·
26,672 Posts
It's a reher morrison 540
Sounds good, what RPM do you shift? What RPM range, is the engine advertised to operate?

Who's converter are you running?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Sounds good, what RPM do you shift? What RPM range, is the engine advertised to operate?

Who's converter are you running?
I shift at 7400, talking to Reher Morrison the engine can run at 7800rpm as long as I keep good valve springs in the motor. It's a Hughes converter.

·
26,672 Posts
I shift at 7400, talking to Reher Morrison the engine can run at 7800rpm as long as I keep good valve springs in the motor. It's a Hughes converter.
Ok, so it's a diode converter (sprag-one way clutch) as we presumed. it was probably purposely built for heads up Pro Tree index racing/big tires. 6600 sounds perfect for the RM engine.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Ok, so it's a diode converter (sprag-one way clutch) as we presumed. it was probably purposely built for heads up Pro Tree index racing/big tires. 6600 sounds perfect for the RM engine.
How do you know it's a diode converter?

·
26,672 Posts

·
26,672 Posts
It could have like a borg warner sprag i suppose, I don't know if Hughes will even build one but I know if you tell em you're 1/4 mile racing it'll be an active stator converter sprag or diode.

When we figured out the slip 1/4 mile, I knew it had an active stator. Like I said it most likely has a stator that multiply's torque on the high end of the scale below stall for Pro Tree racing, but isn't as efficient down track.

I have one like that I bought from a buddy, he had in his attic ten years, when I called PTC to see what its story was, they forecasted its performance by the part # I gave them.

·
26,672 Posts
Trying to get my 60' from 1.38 to around 1.24
Put a M/T radial on it. They're making bigger sizes now, I know there are a few NHRA Super Stock guys fast on them.

Shocks, tires, gear. I go 1.27 in the Nova w/sb 3250 pds. You just gotta work smart. I run a 1.69 low with either a 4.88 or 500 gear.

I has also been 1.30 60 ft with a 1.80 low 4.10 gear but the conditions were -0

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Put a M/T radial on it. They're making bigger sizes now, I know there are a few NHRA Super Stock guys fast on them.

Shocks, tires, gear. I go 1.27 in the Nova w/sb 3250 pds. You just gotta work smart. I run a 1.69 low with either a 4.88 or 500 gear.
Powerglide? And do you run 1/8th or 1/4?

·
26,672 Posts
Powerglide? And do you run 1/8th or 1/4?
Yeah, Powerglide. I run a 1.80 low with a 4.10 1/4 mile with the hard hit PTC converter 400 Pro Tree 10.0 index racing.

Been 1.309 in -0 conditions. left side of timeslip on both

·
26,672 Posts
21 - 40 of 42 Posts