Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Long Massive Member
8,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We sold our house at the beach in South Carolina last year. Looking at possibly living full time down there. I don't have kids looking for safe, areas with low crime. Also, not being right on the beach is no big deal to us. Thinking around Ocala, but right now just browsing. I'll be grateful to any ideas you might have.

·
Aviation Section
25,366 Posts
You are thinking right, that is a nice area, I used to fly out of there quite a bit when I was with the FHP and later a cargo outfit, it is in Western Palm Beach County. I do though tell everyone to stay North of the lake, I personally would like to be further North like the Gainesville area. I stayed at the Holiday Inn there right off I-75 that Steinbrenner owned, lots of Yankee stuff in the lobby and restaurant if you get the chance and they even have a Waffle House close by, you will feel right at home. Good luck. Dave

·
Registered
642 Posts
Ive spent over 60 years living in florida stay 30 miles away from orlando, and north of state rode I4
and away from jacksonville and near or north of ocalla and youll be fine

·
Aviation Section
25,366 Posts
The only thing I can say is stay away from Dade county. that place is on Cops all the time!
Yes, mostly the Opalocka Triangle. Guess where I live?, N.W. Dade County!

Dave

·
Registered
18,202 Posts
Sort of like going duck-hunting by shooting randomly into the sky.

You need to specify what type of housing you are looking for.
Row house, condo, gated community, apartment, place with lots of acreage, place with lots of acreage and few neighbors etc etc. and some inkling of how much the home will be in hundred thousands?

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Sort of like going duck-hunting by shooting randomly into the sky.

You need to specify what type of housing you are looking for.
Row house, condo, gated community, apartment, place with lots of acreage, place with lots of acreage and few neighbors etc etc. and some inkling of how much the home will be in hundred thousands?
Right? My wifes parents live on Ft Myers Beach. They have a barely 1,200 square foot concrete block house. It is on the water though. A bay actually, not the open ocean. The damn thing is worth over 400K. They've owned it since the 70's though. Don't get me wrong, its a cute place but damn. the sad thing is, most houses around them have sold and been torn down to build bigger places. i can't imagine spending that kind of money to just tear the place down. I don't have FU money either or maybe I would. Just a 2 bedroom condo there is over 200K the place is paradise though.

·
Aviation Section
25,366 Posts
Right? My wifes parents live on Ft Myers Beach. They have a barely 1,200 square foot concrete block house. It is on the water though. A bay actually, not the open ocean. The damn thing is worth over 400K. They've owned it since the 70's though. Don't get me wrong, its a cute place but damn. the sad thing is, most houses around them have sold and been torn down to build bigger places. i can't imagine spending that kind of money to just tear the place down. I don't have FU money either or maybe I would. Just a 2 bedroom condo there is over 200K the place is paradise though.
And the building codes there have really changed as well, now all new construction cannot have living space on the first floor in a lot of areas, only storage and garage. My brother is in Estero looking at the beach and a property that he has was going to be just that, a teardown and 4 new condos but that all stopped years ago with the new codes so he has done nothing with it.

I think the area just South of the bridge in Ft. Meyers will one day be the new Daytona Beach on the West side, the spring breakers have already discovered it years ago. Dave

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Most anywhere on the west coat of Florida is pretty good. There are plenty of race tracks in the central Florida area. I live in the Tampa bay area. Its crowded and traffic can be pretty bad during the season. Great place to live though

·
Registered
7,775 Posts
Currently in SWFLA, past Ft Meyers and Naples, been here a bit over a year. SwFla is too damn expensive and it's FILLED with people 65 and up that absolutely cannot drive whatsoever.

Moving to the Daytona/Ormond peninsula soon. Housing/ living costs are much more reasonable and Atlantic/Halifax river is very easily accessible unlike SW where you sit in traffic for days to get to the Gulf and pay to park if you're not a resident, too many fucking snowbirds.

·
Aviation Section
25,366 Posts
Currently in SWFLA, past Ft Meyers and Naples, been here a bit over a year. SwFla is too damn expensive and it's FILLED with people 65 and up that absolutely cannot drive whatsoever.

Moving to the Daytona/Ormond peninsula soon. Housing/ living costs are much more reasonable and Atlantic/Halifax river is very easily accessible unlike SW where you sit in traffic for days to get to the Gulf and pay to park if you're not a resident, too many fucking snowbirds.
Great working man towns there, great car culture, Turkey Rod Run is twice a year, you should like it a lot, I know I would, spent quite a bit of time there with the first wife's family, would love to live their also and then there is that NASCAR thing going on also.

Brought my boat up there from the bottom in the late 70's and explored the St. Johns river quite a bit. Dave

·
Registered
7,775 Posts
Great working man towns there, great car culture, Turkey Rod Run is twice a year, you should like it a lot, I know I would, spent quite a bit of time there with the first wife's family, would love to live their also and then there is that NASCAR thing going on also.

Brought my boat up there from the bottom in the late 70's and explored the St. Johns river quite a bit. Dave
Yes, felt like home the minute we visited last summer, the wife and I were like WTF are we doing in that giant retirement home down south, been back 4 times since looking at houses lol.

Love hitting up Main st and the Pier, despite some of the transients that make their way across the bridge.

A boat is definitely on the list, there you can actually store them in your yard unlike here on Marco, which is just one big HOA

·
Registered
2,175 Posts

My brother-in-law lives in Ormond beach about 200yrds from the beach and my father-in-law just bought a little vacation beach house 2 streets over even closer to the beach. its a nice place to visit(i'm going in 2 weeks) but its sleepy as hell.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Come on down to Ocala/Marion county area, been here since '75, lots of room left fer ya.

·
Registered
282 Posts
You are thinking right, that is a nice area, I used to fly out of there quite a bit when I was with the FHP and later a cargo outfit, it is in Western Palm Beach County. I do though tell everyone to stay North of the lake, I personally would like to be further North like the Gainesville area. I stayed at the Holiday Inn there right off I-75 that Steinbrenner owned, lots of Yankee stuff in the lobby and restaurant if you get the chance and they even have a Waffle House close by, you will feel right at home. Good luck. Dave
The hotel info makes me think of something that happened to me one time. I live about a mile and half from Bobby Richardson and there is a local diner that has a lot of Yankees/Bobby R stuff in it. I met a guy I buy steel from there for breakfast one morning and he is from out of town. Guy says the “owner must be a big Yankees fan” so I explained the connection and that Mr. Bobby only lived a few blocks away and he says “i would give anything to meet him.” I am facing the door and saw Mr. Bobby walk in about the time he finished his statement so I said “how much would you pay?” I introduced him but never got my money, lol.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Planning a move to Bradenton , I've been in Delaware for 29 years now and my wife for 27 and were both bored with it , I grew up in Lake Alfred and Winter Haven and left when i turned 16 for NH then moved to DE at 22 and I'm ready to try something else , I've always loved the west coast probably because we always went to Fort DeSoto state park for the beach and camping ,We did the east coast a bit too as my parents were big campers but the west coast was my favorite and still is , My Dad lives in Winter Haven and so does other family and my Brother lives in Lake Alfred and still he loves it there , was even Mayor for 3 years there , My older daughter lives in Bradenton on the Manatee river which is what I've been eyeballing a few years before she even moved there 3 years ago , Were looking for places on the river now as were spoiled from the waterfront living the past 6 years here on the Indian River Bay , We love living on the water which made me hate the winter season even more than i already did. I dream of having fun year round , I hate the fact that i have to live two or 2-1/2 years of my life to get one full year of summer fun in , if we lived forever i wouldn't care probably but fact is were just not here that long so i want to suck up as much fun as i can till i croak , year round camping , boating , jet skis ,beaching it , walking sandbars with my girls , Drag Racing , Go Karts , Motocross Bikes all the stuff i love plus its got way more future opportunities for my 13 year old girl than it does here , Plus i would love to be around family again i have none here. Life is about making memories and like a big book and we want to add another chapter to ours , If its horrible then we'll come back , Our retirement plan anyway is to have a place on the water down there and do the back and forth thing or at least have the option.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts

I hope you're retired. Very little industry in Daytona. Wages have been depressed there for decades.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts