Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Realy NEED some INPUT?
Some of You Guys have Followed my Combo w/the 496?
And I KEEP Hearing the Same thing OVER & OVER?
Heads and Cam are WAY to LARGE?
496"BBC,14.1
DART 355 CNC Pro-1
Gerardot BIG~V Injector(Same as a Enderle B&U)w/Divider.5200cfm on Methenol
Comp Cams CCA11~736~9
324/332 286/294 110* .775/.748
Cars weighs 3000 w/Me
Glide 1.80,4.70 gear,33x10.5x15
Best ET to Date=5.648 @ 122

I would LIKE to get the Car to Run in the TEENS,N/A?

Heres what I'm THINKING?
I Have a 638"S/Blk.18*
IF>?I Use the 18* Pistons,with the Dart 355's,I'm Hoping to be Above 12.5-1 13.1 would be EVEN Better!
Anyone Used this Set-Up Before?
Will I NEED More Camshaft,if Yes?Grind?
Will this COMBO Get in the 1100 HP [email protected] what RPM Range?
I REALIZE if I went with a set og 23* Pistons it would Make a HUGE HP Difference!
Lets HERE it?

THANK You,in ADVANCE!
G :cool:

·
pig hunter
9,424 Posts
that head wasn't to big for a alky headed 500cid engine... that head will never make 1100hp with out a ton of work. i'm making 1060 right know and have what a avg guy off the street would have paied 3000+ for in head work done...

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jeff,
How many INCHES,is your Motor?
I was Hoping that w/almost 650"s that the HP # would be Close,...........?
THANKS!
G

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
thats now to much ci for that head. a conv 1100hp motor around 632ci would use something like a headhunter 395.that 355 dart works on somthing around a 565.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
would you look at a head size with rpm in mind? id imagine that your gonna twist that 630 cubes pretty high right? if so, i agree with above and would be looking at more head.if i was u, id contact curtis boggs here on yb

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
Realy NEED some INPUT?
Some of You Guys have Followed my Combo w/the 496?
And I KEEP Hearing the Same thing OVER & OVER?
Heads and Cam are WAY to LARGE?
496"BBC,14.1
DART 355 CNC Pro-1
Gerardot BIG~V Injector(Same as a Enderle B&U)w/Divider.5200cfm on Methenol
Comp Cams CCA11~736~9
324/332 286/294 110* .775/.748
Cars weighs 3000 w/Me
Glide 1.80,4.70 gear,33x10.5x15
Best ET to Date=5.648 @ 122

I would LIKE to get the Car to Run in the TEENS,N/A?

Heres what I'm THINKING?
I Have a 638"S/Blk.18*
IF>?I Use the 18* Pistons,with the Dart 355's,I'm Hoping to be Above 12.5-1 13.1 would be EVEN Better!
Anyone Used this Set-Up Before?
Will I NEED More Camshaft,if Yes?Grind?
Will this COMBO Get in the 1100 HP [email protected] what RPM Range?
I REALIZE if I went with a set og 23* Pistons it would Make a HUGE HP Difference!
Lets HERE it?

THANK You,in ADVANCE!
i would rather have those heads on 496 than 638.

·
502 daddy
3,311 Posts
Get some BMF and be done with it..

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I THINK Everyones,Missing My Point?
I'm NOT Buying anymore Heads!!!I WANT to Use the Stuff I have,other than Maybe a BumpStick?Just THOUGHT Maybe someone had a Combo of Sort.and could tell me what the Deal is?With the ET that the Car Runs,the 496 is making about 865,Any 1 want to give me a GOOD Guesstimate what the 638 will make,w/the Darts?If I can get the Static Comp.to at least 13.1?
THANKS Again!
G

·
Registered
14,768 Posts
I THINK Everyones,Missing My Point?
I'm NOT Buying anymore Heads!!!I WANT to Use the Stuff I have,other than Maybe a BumpStick?Just THOUGHT Maybe someone had a Combo of Sort.and could tell me what the Deal is?With the ET that the Car Runs,the 496 is making about 865,Any 1 want to give me a GOOD Guesstimate what the 638 will make,w/the Darts?If I can get the Static Comp.to at least 13.1?
THANKS Again!
G
The problem with that head is mostly the 2.300 valve. Send it to someone who knows what they're doing and have a 2.375 or 2.4" intake installed and the proper bowl/short turn/chamber work and then you're talking. The port is plenty big. If you are set on using the heads exactly as they are, then get them on a flow bench to find out exactly what their flow curve is and have someone like Chris Straub design you a cam. That way you'll get the most out of what you've got, whatever it ends up being.
JMO

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The problem with that head is mostly the 2.300 valve. Send it to someone who knows what they're doing and have a 2.375 or 2.4" intake installed and the proper bowl/short turn/chamber work and then you're talking. The port is plenty big. If you are set on using the heads exactly as they are, then get them on a flow bench to find out exactly what their flow curve is and have someone like Chris Straub design you a cam. That way you'll get the most out of what you've got, whatever it ends up being.
JMO
NOW were TALKIN!!!
THANKS!
In ALL Reality,(IF) I had the $$$?I would just Purchase a set of Dart Big Cheifs which is what was on the S/Blk.Then I could Use the Pistons I have,and could Buy the S/Metal Intake that the Previous Owner still has>Just TRYING to get the BIGGEST Bang for the Parts I have?

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Hey G, just remember if you go with the 638 it will probably cost you more than you think, it will probably need a different converter, gear and possible tire size. I would do like some of the other guys on here said and send the heads in to Curtis or Chad and let them take a look at the heads and fix them up for you, they could probably help you pick a cam also. Another guy you could get with is Chris Straub and let him design a cam for you, he has alot of happy customers out there. I didn't keep up with you build so I don't know what deck height your 496 is, if it's not the same as the 638 then you will need to get another intake or some spacers. Another thing to look at is the headers, you need to make sure they will clear your frame, steering, etc. and are they big enough for the larger cubes.:) I feel your pain, I have everything to build a 18* 632 and now I'm wanting to build a smaller motor with conventional heads so I can run in some of the small tire classes like x275.:confused: Good luck with you project.;)

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Them heads are fine on a 496, maybe a touch big but have worked well for many on that combo. The 638ci with that head as is on a honest dyno will not make anywhere near 1100hp, It'll make closer to 1000 mark. There is power there over what you have now and with options of more power down the road with a head change.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey G, just remember if you go with the 638 it will probably cost you more than you think, it will probably need a different converter, gear and possible tire size. I would do like some of the other guys on here said and send the heads in to Curtis or Chad and let them take a look at the heads and fix them up for you, they could probably help you pick a cam also. Another guy you could get with is Chris Straub and let him design a cam for you, he has alot of happy customers out there. I didn't keep up with you build so I don't know what deck height your 496 is, if it's not the same as the 638 then you will need to get another intake or some spacers. Another thing to look at is the headers, you need to make sure they will clear your frame, steering, etc. and are they big enough for the larger cubes.:) I feel your pain, I have everything to build a 18* 632 and now I'm wanting to build a smaller motor with conventional heads so I can run in some of the small tire classes like x275.:confused: Good luck with you project.;)
Jeff,
Got pretty much of that Parts List covered.
Converter,Headers,and the Steering Issue.A Camshaft is about all that I would be Lacking?I'm Realy starting to think,.........maybe some Cylinder Head Work and a CamChange in the 96 might be a Better way to Fly?Maybe pick up 40-50HP?Then maybe either Find a set of Heads for the bigger Motor,or Let it go?
THANKS for ALL the Input!!!
Later

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have a similar weighted car that runs [email protected] 136 with a conv headed (rfd 24* 383 port 2.35 valve) 632 that made 1166 with q 16, I think you can do it but you
will have to have alot of work done to the heads . I just put on a profiler tunnel ram and 2 1050's from c&s hoping to hit the low 5.00's! Good luck

·
Registered
740 Posts
I have a similar weighted car that runs [email protected] 136 with a conv headed (rfd 24* 383 port 2.35 valve) 632 that made 1166 with q 16, I think you can do it but you
will have to have alot of work done to the heads . I just put on a profiler tunnel ram and 2 1050's from c&s hoping to hit the low 5.00's! Good luck
Let us know how it does with the tunnel ram! Have any pics?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Well we are going to be rained out tonight for a test session so we'll just have to go sat- i'll come back and post
the results I have a bunch of pics but don't know how to post em.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts