Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just getting started. Yes, another 928. Not sure why I love these cars so much. Anyways, I scored an 82 for $1000 not running. Plan on doing a chinese turbo 5.3 aka Denmah setup. Already have LQ9 all aluminum motor for it as well as turbo, ls9 cam, 4l60e and converter. ( I know it will be borderline on that, but it's light)
I plan on axing the transaxle setup but retaining all the factory rear suspension by using a third member from a TT 300zx. it has limited slip and 3.69 gear and is plenty strong for this power level.
Pump gas daily driver type car with AC. Goal is to keep it under $10k total and run in the 10's. I've spent way too much money on my cars and usually never have any kind of budget, so I thought I'd challenge myself and see if I could do it.
The car weighed 3190 (w/o driver) before I started pulling it apart. 928 motor weighed 491, LS weighed 430. Pretty sure I can get the car under 3100 by the time its all said and done.

Anyways, heres a list of parts so far and cost. I'll keep updating as time goes on.
Car 82 928 $1,000 Engine 2010 L33 5.3$900 Trans/Conv$700 Intake & TB LS 6$300 R230 Third member$275 Axle $60 LS9 cam$137 Turbo, intercooler, tubing, wastegate$757 Valve Springs$129 Coil$45 Crank Bolt$30 Vbands$34

Total so far $4367. Should be able to recoup the cost of the car by selling the motor and transaxle.

·
"I like money" More Plz!
2,999 Posts
The 928 has always one of my favorite all time cars.. I had an 84.

This will be cool... I'd love one built like that, just don't have the time or skillz to do it.

Let me know if ya ever sell it..
From your other thread.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Hey Danny,

Not a complete Renegade kit... its their bellhousing adapter and spline adapter for the torque tube, but "home built" engine mounts...

The only thing that I dont like about these cars are the 5x130mm bolt pattern..

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well crap, just had to drop another $400 on stuff to convert from DOD. Lifters, valley cover, head gaskets, etc. Since I'm gonna have to pull heads, I decided to go ahead with studs (overkill) instead of TTY bolts. Also since this motor only has 40k miles, I'll open up the ring gap some too. Should get this thing on the lift this weekend and get the transaxle out and start setting up the motor, trans, and rearend placement. I'll know by this time next week if the rearend swap will work as planned.

·
Registered
495 Posts
What turbo are you using? I plan to do a dirt cheap turbo build to get my feet wet and by dirt cheap i mean just that lol. Trying to keep it as cheap as possible.

·
Banned
16,548 Posts
I cant look at those cars without thinking about Rebecca Demornay.;) Cool builds.

·
Registered
27,956 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
I can't wait to see this one finished. I've been kicking around the exact opposite idea. I'm thinking one of those Factory 5 Ford coupe kits with a later 928 V8 and the 5spd transaxle.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Working on getting the R230 rear put in place. Looks like it will fit but will take some pretty good fabrication to mount it. Good thing I got duct tape!! Gonna have to make some adapters for the 930 cv joints and driveshaft. This diff is really freaking heavy but with moving the trans to the front it should keep the weight distribution pretty close. Next step, remove gas tank and start fab I g mounts.

·
Spiritual Gynocologist
80,189 Posts
I can't wait to see this one finished. I've been kicking around the exact opposite idea. I'm thinking one of those Factory 5 Ford coupe kits with a later 928 V8 and the 5spd transaxle.
I would recommend an S4 or GT motor. Great stock or an low boost. They pull from idle to 6500. I've always wondered what those heads would do with some work. The factory finish for the ports is crap. Short blocks go 300K miles. Performance parts are rare & expensive.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I hate trying to find wheels for these 928's...anything decent in 5x130mm people want 2500.00 for.

Im contemplating drilling for a different bolt pattern....like 5x4.75
The Porsche dealers here in Cali have tons of take offs for chimp change, as everyone wants to personalize their rides. I believe the dimensions are the same, and I bet some looking around on LA craigslist or the Recycler will get you results.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts