Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I fill this SOB in, maybe someone has an idea. In ground 16x32, vinyl liner and I've had a leak for most of the summer that no one can find. I loose about 1/8" of water per 24 hour period, depending on rain of course. We had the liner replaced a couple of years ago.

I've capped off the skimmer box with a gizmo and the one return jet with a plug - no change. Diver has been here twice and can't find any liner leaks. He used dye around the bottom drain and says it's not leaking. I've used dye in the skimmer box w/ gizmo installed and it doesn't seem to be leaking. I've inspected the liner as much as I can and don't see anything either.

Been here over 20 years and have never seen anything like it. Unusual silt builds up in the shallow end and diver has seen it. Time for a new diver or a back hoe?

·
Titanium Member
11,601 Posts
1/8" of water in 24 hours?Evaporation? Drought might've affected the canopy in your back yard.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Been in my house over 20 years and it came with the pool already installed. Current liner is only a couple of years old.

I'm pretty sure the rate of the water leaving is well above any weather conditions. That's why I mentioned how long I've had the pool.

·
Registered
406 Posts
From the few experiences with in ground pools leaking has been from damaged pipes underground. Usually roots or something. Have to have them tested by pool service. Divers can't find them, they do some kind of pressure test iirc.

My brother and my neighbors pool both had to have it all dug up to repair the problem. Especially since your seeing silt in the shallow end. Isn't that where the jets push water into the pool? Sounds like your leak is between the filter and where the jets shoot water into the pool.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Put a cover on your pool that will slow the evaporation down.... If u think it's leaking.. Squirt die around the skimmer and main drain... If it's leaking it ll suck that die right up

·
Ass, Gas or Grass
17,202 Posts
Could always throw a case of Bars Leak sealer in it as a last resort...:)

·
Registered
21,569 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds to me like evaporation

READ this

http://www.americanleakdetection.com/how-much-water-evaporates-from-a-pool-each-day.php

http://cwanamaker.hubpages.com/hub/Determine-Evaporation-Rate-for-Swimming-Pool

Here is an online calculator

http://www.poolleakexperts.com/professional/evaporation.php

Most of this is simple weather info you can easily get for your area, from several sources
That's some pretty interesting stuff! The bucket test sounds like a simple and effective test. I'll start that tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Here in South Carolina 1" a week is average................. But it all averages out...... the pool looses an Inch and the Wife gets an Inch!!!!!!!!!!!!:-damnit

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Running the bucket test now. I'll report back in a couple of days. Either my memory is shot or no way has my pool lost an inch a week due to evaporation in 20+ years. We've had much dryer summers too.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bucket test confirmed leak - 1/8" in 24 hours from pool, none from the bucket. Time to call the company that installed the liner and see if they have any ideas.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts