Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
48,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This is the first one, in 1962. It was built (and driven) by Hayden Profitt for Mickey Thompson. Hayden to the engine and the three-speed trans out of one of Mickey's S/D cars and bolted it into this LeMans. The trans-axle was replaced with a narrowed Pontiac rear-end housing. This car led to the building of the 1963 A/FX cars by the factory.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts

·
Registered
9,850 Posts
:rolleyes:dam some people have way to much money,200 k for that, no wonder regular people cant afford this hobby:smt077

·
Registered
48,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I have heard about this car, however, I have some suspicians about it being an "original" 421 A/FX car. Personally, I think it's a clone, done in 1963 to look like the factory cars. The three little chrome stipes right behind the front wheel opening were not on the original cars. I think that the "Tempestuos" car in the bottom photo is also a clone.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
George,how bout some super duty full size cars? Werent too many of them made either. There was a local guy had a gold one with red tinted windows. Even had the aluminum thrid member in the rear.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
In 66 I think you could get a post LeMans. There was one in our town that had the OHC 6-cylinder in it with a 4-spd. Pretty rare car by todays standards.

·
Registered
378 Posts
now this is my kind of thread! hence my avatar , i own a 63 tempest coupe that i made a clone of the SD cars, still has the original 326 for now but its the original cameo white, the SD scoop , dog dishes and all, and i had arnie the farmer besiwck, a personal freind of mine sign the dash. that car that was bought for 226k is 1 of the 6 original cars, it definalty is! it was the stan analocer car. now owned by a guy in long island they call SD bob or something like that, it is bieng restored to the way it was raced in 63. the 6 factory sd coupes were all lemanses, white/ blue gut, as was all 6 wagons but they were tempests, there was 1 blue and i grey test mule sd cars but they were tempests. i dont know much at all but i know everything about these sd cars, so cool for the day! arnie got his to go low 11s @ over 120. still using the transaxle rear setup with the clutch/automatic tranny.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Can anyone name the driver of the 60 Pontiac in the near lane of the pic that George posted? George, I had a 61 Pontiac 2-dr. Hardtop in 70. It was light blue (George Montgomery blue) with tutone blue interior. It was a 389/318 hp 4-spd. Reverb radio and the 8-lug Grand Prix style wheels. Had a McKellar cam,Jardine headers and a 4:30 something gear. To think what that car is worth today? An interesting fact on the 60 Pontiacs. If you bought a car with factory a/c the engine was set back 1.5 inches further than one without! Wonder how much that helped by todays standards?

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
there was a certain model that had the transmission in the REAR , right in front of the Diff housing....

one of the four cylinder models also has an independent rear suspension.

when I was a KID,
there was a neighborhood ( olderguy) that had one of these station wagons that had the four banger engine laying on its "visual" side, ...aka/example the cylinders were not "standing up"...kinda like how a "slant six" 225" dodge engine was.

·
Registered
48,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Can anyone name the driver of the 60 Pontiac in the near lane of the pic that George posted? George, I had a 61 Pontiac 2-dr. Hardtop in 70. It was light blue (George Montgomery blue) with tutone blue interior. It was a 389/318 hp 4-spd. Reverb radio and the 8-lug Grand Prix style wheels. Had a McKellar cam,Jardine headers and a 4:30 something gear. To think what that car is worth today? An interesting fact on the 60 Pontiacs. If you bought a car with factory a/c the engine was set back 1.5 inches further than one without! Wonder how much that helped by todays standards?
Jim Wangers.

·
Registered
48,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
now this is my kind of thread! hence my avatar , i own a 63 tempest coupe that i made a clone of the SD cars, still has the original 326 for now but its the original cameo white, the SD scoop , dog dishes and all, and i had arnie the farmer besiwck, a personal freind of mine sign the dash. that car that was bought for 226k is 1 of the 6 original cars, it definalty is! it was the stan analocer car. now owned by a guy in long island they call SD bob or something like that, it is bieng restored to the way it was raced in 63. the 6 factory sd coupes were all lemanses, white/ blue gut, as was all 6 wagons but they were tempests, there was 1 blue and i grey test mule sd cars but they were tempests. i dont know much at all but i know everything about these sd cars, so cool for the day! arnie got his to go low 11s @ over 120. still using the transaxle rear setup with the clutch/automatic tranny.
http://image.popularhotrodding.com/f/17507908/0905phr_05_z+1963_pontiac_tempest_super_duty+antlocer.jpg
Alot of folks are not convinced that this car and Stan's car are one an the same.

·
Registered
378 Posts
there was a certain model that had the transmission in the REAR , right in front of the Diff housing....

one of the four cylinder models also has an independent rear suspension.

when I was a KID,
there was a neighborhood ( olderguy) that had one of these station wagons that had the four banger engine laying on its "visual" side, ...aka/example the cylinders were not "standing up"...kinda like how a "slant six" 225" dodge engine was.
they offered two enignies in the 63s, the 326 v8 and the 4 cyl, which was actually a 389 v8 cut in half, everything about these cars was unique. damn id love to find a 63 tempest wagon!

·
Registered
48,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the vin# on the car and vin # in pete mccarthys book, which shows the actual manifest and vin#s match. i love these cars :)!!!!
Yes, I was just reading that book this morning, trying to re-educate myself on these cars. Maybe the front end was replaced at one time, the aluminum front fenders were not very sturdy and I have read that some racers had more than one set of fenders, etc. I'm going to post some additional info from McCarthy's book (Pontiac Musclecar Performance 1955-1979) relative to the SD Tempests when I get to work.

I have always been fastinated with these cars. I spent alot of time looking over Hayden's '62 LeMans, the "prototype" car. It was so simple, they built (modified) the car in one weekend, just before the Winternationals.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts