Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I have a 500 sportsman that the ring clip that holds the axle in rear differential came though the boot. It must have never been installed from the factory. I got a new clip installed it on axle, replaced the boot and pushed the axle back in. So I think the axle should just pop out like in the video.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Don't have to go into the rear end.Just pull the 2 bolts out that hold's the knuckle on.Then swing both a arms away a little bit.Then if it is like most the dam axle will be stuck in the diff,you can try putting wedges in between the case and axle to get it out and tapping on them.Some times this works and they come out,some times you have to pull and beat and bang.It's a poor design on lubrication and they rust in there.I have had them be stuck so bad i had to pull the rear diff and put them on the bench and work on them to come free.Try spraying some wd40 or such and let it set for a bit.But for quick boot change,remove the wheel,then 2 knuckle bolts,and cut the inner boot off,clean the area off around the joint and you will see 2 prongs"for a inner snap ring" that are right up against the cv joint and axle,the cv joint will have a notch on it by the base of the axle.Spread the 2 prongs apart with some snap ring plires and give the axle a tug,it will come off and you can then put the boot on.Just reverse the steps for assembly.Make sure you clean the cv joint out really good.

·
TD 3550
2,991 Posts
Just did mine last year on the 400 Sportman. I just got in back of the inboard side and just snapped them out.
Got them brand new from Monster Axles $90.00 a side complete WWW.thecvman.com.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Then if it is like most the dam axle will be stuck in the diff,you can try putting wedges in between the case and axle to get it out and tapping on them.

you will see 2 prongs"for a inner snap ring" that are right up against the cv joint and axle,the cv joint will have a notch on it by the base of the axle.Spread the 2 prongs apart with some snap ring plires and give the axle a tug,
Thanks for the help Poco. Got the axle out with a few tugs. Gotta get some snap ring pliers. I can't see the ring, guess I'll have to do more grease removal.

This video Is a lot better. Thanks again.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpqVkji09oM&feature=related

·
Registered
931 Posts
Doing the same thing right now on a 700. Also have to put u-joints in it, that only requires pulling the whole rear diff just to get the driveshaft out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts