Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I got poison ivy indirectly. Last Sat (4/24) I was spraying Round Up on everything growing around my garage. I was wearing work boots and Carhartt canvass work pants.

Well........around on Wednesday (4/27 ) I woke up with these tiny blisters (no itch) around my shins. Towards the end of the week, I have maybe five little blisters on the inside of my right bicep area and 1 blister on the inside of my left bicep area.

I did not realize that I had poison ivy until late yesterday since I did not have any itching symptoms. From what I gathered, since I took a shower when I first had contact, the oil was mostly gone.

Is it possible that the poison ivy oil got on my pants and I transfered it to my body or did it seep throught the pants?

After I got out of the shower this afternoon, I wiped the areas with alcohol. The alcohol felt goooood.

Anyone have any remedies to get rid of the tiny blisters? Leaving next week for a race and need this shit gone.

The bed sheets/blankets, all clothes and whatever else I could think of had been washed.

Billy T.
[email protected]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,275 Posts
I had a bad case of Poison Oak that just kept getting worse. Got a shot at the doc's office that had it cleared up in 2 days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
462 Posts
the old trick was to go to the ocean and stay in the water for an hour,poison ivy will be gonzo!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51,357 Posts
If you can take it, scratch the blisters a bit, open them up and dump bleach on the area. Other than steroids, this is the only thing that works for me.

Yes, it can transfer from clothes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,391 Posts
Your right, it's the oil in the vine that causes the reaction. I get it all the time, usually runs it's course in a week. Anything that dries it out helps. Calydril works fine for mild cases.

Interesting fact about poison ivy: the first time you come in contact with it you'll usually have little or no reaction. Each time after that the reaction to it becomes worse. Some people can get it on a windy day from walking by it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,504 Posts
You can get it second hand off of clothes. I've allways heard shoe polish but it didn't work for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
362 Posts
The name of the dope the doc can shoot you with is Kenelog. It can be your best friend. Had shots 2 different times. Its amazing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31,526 Posts
OK... I'm SEVERLY allergic to Poison Ivy and Poison Oak. I'm one of those who gets it when most wouldn't. I had it I think five times last year.... I tried all the tricks.... The pool water, Bleach... Calyadryl, Cortaid, you name it.... I tried it. Nothing worked. Doc put me on Prednazone in order to stop it and even then, it was bad getting it to go away. On my face between my fingers, up and down my arms....

I found something this last time I had it that kept me out of the docs office..... It's called IVAREST. This shit will feel cool and will burn a little bit, but let me tell you....... it's the ONLY thing that worked for me. I found it in my local Safeway.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31,526 Posts
If you can take it, scratch the blisters a bit, open them up and dump bleach on the area. Other than steroids, this is the only thing that works for me.

Yes, it can transfer from clothes.
BLEACH BURNS LIKE SHIT... I tried that and all it did was burn. Never cleared up my case. I tried it for three days. Several times a day. God that sucked. lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,823 Posts
I get it alot and the only way I can get rid of it is to take those cotton circle things that your wife uses to clean her face with and put alot of bleach on them and lightly dab each spot and it will be gone in a day or two and it also sounds like , since its at you feet and inside of your arm that you INHALED it bc inside of your bicep and at your ankles are limp nodes.. It is comming out of the limph nodes...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31,526 Posts
I think I got poison ivy indirectly. Last Sat (4/24) I was spraying Round Up on everything growing around my garage. I was wearing work boots and Carhartt canvass work pants.

Well........around on Wednesday (4/27 ) I woke up with these tiny blisters (no itch) around my shins. Towards the end of the week, I have maybe five little blisters on the inside of my right bicep area and 1 blister on the inside of my left bicep area.

I did not realize that I had poison ivy until late yesterday since I did not have any itching symptoms. From what I gathered, since I took a shower when I first had contact, the oil was mostly gone.

Is it possible that the poison ivy oil got on my pants and I transfered it to my body or did it seep throught the pants?

After I got out of the shower this afternoon, I wiped the areas with alcohol. The alcohol felt goooood.

Anyone have any remedies to get rid of the tiny blisters? Leaving next week for a race and need this shit gone.

The bed sheets/blankets, all clothes and whatever else I could think of had been washed.

Billy T.
[email protected]
They will actually tell you...... THROW IT AWAY. If it's not that important to you, and you can do without it. Throw it away. I caught mine back on my face this last time because I had touched the outside of my make up case with it and I must have touched the right spot four month's later, and that was all she wrote... I had washed all of that to. I had to throw away my hunting gloves and mask and everything, even after washing it, I ended up with it again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,823 Posts
BLEACH BURNS LIKE SHIT... I tried that and all it did was burn. Never cleared up my case. I tried it for three days. Several times a day. God that sucked. lol.
The bleach will work and works great if you catch it early.. The burn is from the bleach getting under the skin and it will dry it out.. Im also one that gets it badly and bleach is the only way I can work without itching all day bc the bleach dries it out.. Also I will put bleach on the areas 10+ times aday..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31,526 Posts
The bleach will work and works great if you catch it early.. The burn is from the bleach getting under the skin and it will dry it out.. Im also one that gets it badly and bleach is the only way I can work without itching all day bc the bleach dries it out.. Also I will put bleach on the areas 10+ times aday..
Wow... I'm glad it worked for you. It worked for my boyfriend to. I started it before him and it wouldn't stop for me. I don't know why. I know not everything works for everyone, maybe I'm just one of those weird ones that it didn't work on, but three days straight, after that I went to the doc. I had it for two weeks and tried everything ever mentioned on the internet or by others, etc. The steroid calmed it and still took a while for it to go away, but the IVAREST, for those who can't stand bleach, or bleach doesn't work on...... that is good shit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,265 Posts
get some Phels naptha soap.
its a bar soap that you will find in the grocery store with the laundry detergent.
it wont say anything about poison ivy on it but the shit works good.
it kills the oil and will stop it from spreading.
it smells like kerosene and it makes you a little nervous to shower with it but it does work.
it wont do anything to cure it or dry it, out but it wont spread any more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
753 Posts
The bleach has no medical merit. It does nothing. You are not actually allergic to Poison ivy. It places Urushiol on your body that causes your body to actually attack itself. Steroids work well. Medrol packs are most commonly prescribed. Wash with rubbing alcohol is a good way to avoid it. It takes a bunch of steroids to stop it. I get it 20 + times a year.
The oil can stay active for 5 years on your clothes.
 
1 - 20 of 67 Posts
Top