Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if I should plumb my boost reference for the wastegates directly from the carb hat or can I run the lines to a vacuum/boost log? I bought a vibrant vacuum log to mount on my firewall but not sure if that's the best solution.
I was thinking of running one line to feed the log then everything can reference from that (boost gauge, fuel regulator, wastegates etc.) just to clean things up. Is this acceptable?
Also I'm running twin TiAl F38 WG's .... Should I run one line out then tee it to both WG's? Or two separate lines, one for each WG?
Thanks and im using nylon tubing with push lock ends and no boost controller for now. I will install a manual boost controller later then eventually an AMS 500/1000 when I get comfortable tuning the turbo setup.

·
Gigity
3,137 Posts
Fuel regulator to a point ABOVE THE THROTTLE. Carb hat works.
Waste gate should be from hat as well, 1 line, T'd to both your gates

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fuel regulator to a point ABOVE THE THROTTLE. Carb hat works.
Waste gate should be from hat as well, 1 line, T'd to both your gates
Can I run a line from the hat to the log then split of to everything? Or does it actually have to go directly to the hat? Just seems like a lot of lines to run off my hat. Also have a map sensor for my XIM

·
Gigity
3,137 Posts
To risky to reference rhe fuel reg from a shared line.
It NEEDS a dedicated line to pressure above the throttle plates.
MAP goes below throttle plates

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
To risky to reference rhe fuel reg from a shared line.
It NEEDS a dedicated line to pressure above the throttle plates.
MAP goes below throttle plates
So I have this correct:
*BOV and MAP- below throttle blades but separate lines
*Wastgates- directly from compressor or hat(above throttle blades) to lower port & upper is left open to atmosphere (.4 bar springs or now just want 5-6psi to start)
*Fuel regulator- directly to hat all by itself.
*Gauge- hat

It is non intercooled and less than 15psi boost with a really short charge pipe so I don't imagine there's much difference in running my gates off the compressor or hat?

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is it the end of the world if I run my MAP sensor and BOV off the same 1/8" npt port on the baseplate of my carb?
I don't have any good access to post throttle blade boost/vacuum other that unless I use the weirdo plugs in the bottom of my plenum (Sullivan puts them literally on the plenum floor)...in that location I would worry about raw fuel puddling in the lines and traveling into the map sensor.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Is it the end of the world if I run my MAP sensor and BOV off the same 1/8" npt port on the baseplate of my carb?
I don't have any good access to post throttle blade boost/vacuum other that unless I use the weirdo plugs in the bottom of my plenum (Sullivan puts them literally on the plenum floor)...in that location I would worry about raw fuel puddling in the lines and traveling into the map sensor.
The world will not end, no.

Ensure the BOV reference port is 100% sealed with no leaks though.

And mount the map sensor high and pointing downwards with all hoses running down away from the sensor to discourage fuel from getting to it.

Id imagine the BOV diaphragm might not like fuel either ?

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The world will not end, no.

Ensure the BOV reference port is 100% sealed with no leaks though.

And mount the map sensor high and pointing downwards with all hoses running down away from the sensor to discourage fuel from getting to it.

Id imagine the BOV diaphragm might not like fuel either ?
Thanks. I'll try to separate them if I can. May I can run a reference from the baseplate to a log then split out to the map and BOV separately.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Thanks. I'll try to separate them if I can. May I can run a reference from the baseplate to a log then split out to the map and BOV separately.
But they're still taken from a single point. The issue is if the takeoff is small diameter, any leak after this could affect both signals, and for a MAP sensor it is important there are no leaks.

Obviously if you use a larger hose to any manifold or log, any small leak is mitigated for the most part.

it's good practise where possible though to run independent takeoffs for each item, but not always practical with every install.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
But they're still taken from a single point. The issue is if the takeoff is small diameter, any leak after this could affect both signals, and for a MAP sensor it is important there are no leaks.

Obviously if you use a larger hose to any manifold or log, any small leak is mitigated for the most part.

it's good practise where possible though to run independent takeoffs for each item, but not always practical with every install.
Yep I have the largest ID fitting that I can find for the 1/8"npt port in my baseplate. It measures about .250" ID and without drilling another hole in my intake (already mounted to engine) this may be it. The ID in the MAP reference port is maybe .100" so hopefully the fitting I have is large enough to allow enough signal for both items.
I have no room to run a spacer under the carb either. I'll make sure there are no leaks.

·
Registered
15,954 Posts
Yep I have the largest ID fitting that I can find for the 1/8"npt port in my baseplate. It measures about .250" ID and without drilling another hole in my intake (already mounted to engine) this may be it. The ID in the MAP reference port is maybe .100" so hopefully the fitting I have is large enough to allow enough signal for both items.
I have no room to run a spacer under the carb either. I'll make sure there are no leaks.
Not to hassle you, but to save the extra work of pulling the intake and doing it right, your going to read a poor signal controlling your vital info on your turbo motor. Its a lot more work to pull the motor when its hurt, than it is to pull, and reinstall the intake now. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
For the MAP sensor and BOV, that would be fine, but I wouldnt be taking w/g plumbing from it.

By nature, and especially when bleeding off to increase boost, it IS an air leak.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For the MAP sensor and BOV, that would be fine, but I wouldnt be taking w/g plumbing from it.

By nature, and especially when bleeding off to increase boost, it IS an air leak.
You guys got me worried now so I'll just drill and tap my intake for a separate BOV source in the front. I'll run the MAP off the carb baseplate.
Since I'm an idiot trying to run my one off carb intake on a coyote I'll have to use my spare set of custom intake gaskets. Only took an hour to make each set:) better than buying another engine though.

·
Registered
15,954 Posts
I do not see where is says he has a brake booster vacuum line..........and I read it twice! :-D

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No booster line. It would have been easy. My CSU carb has the billet baseplate which only gives me one 1/8"npt port at the rear and my intake has the vacuum ports located at the floor of the plenum. I figured running a reference off that location would just collect puddling fuel and screw up the BOV diaphragm. Maybe I'm being too nervous but I just want to set it up correctly the first time so I don't have any goofy issues.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts