Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a submersible well pump. Tonight my wife called me down to the basement and said that the pump sounded funny, she was running the washer. I have a cut out in my basement and the well casement is inside that cutout, so i can hear the pump run when I am in the basement. I noticed that the pressure on the gage was around 30 psi and was not climbing. So I shut off the main water valve to the house and it really didn't seam to help. I then turned the pressure switch off to stop the pump.

I noticed the pressure gage went almost right to zero. I left it sit a few minutes and turned the pump back on at the pressure switch. It built pressure up to 50psi at it's normal rate. I flushed the toilet and ran some water to cycle the pump and it worked fine. I did that 2 times and it was all ok.

So later she got into the shower and when she was done the pump was doing the same thing again. Running but not really building pressure. I flipped the power off and the pressure started dropping again. I left it off a few minutes and started it again. It went right up to 50PSI.

So I am assuming the pump is bad, Maybe the foot valve???

Any ideas???

Keith

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, Kevin I was thinking the same thing. If I pull it I am replacing the entire thing. I have been here for 13 years so i know it's at least that old. I was hoping someone had a quick fix.L.O.L.

Keith

·
having fun
31,274 Posts
more than likely crap in the impeller-sometimes just shaking the pump up and down while its off frees up the junk

you more than likely also have a check valve in the line coming out of the pump that could be hangin up

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is (what looks like) a check valve in line right before the pressure switch. Maybe I should try to replace that before I pull the pump.

If I need to pull it, any tips or tricks to make that happen with out alot of drama??

Keith

·
all motor
4,461 Posts
remove the hose clamps around the check valve and the pump should pull out. I'm thinking there may be plastic or something that is getting sucked up into the screen when the pump cycles on. When its off, the plastic returns to the bottom and thus you get the normal pressure for a minute...

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For sure if I have to pull it, even if there is just trash stuck in it, there is a new one going back in.

Keith

·
Registered
810 Posts
you have 2 check valves 1 on top of pump 1 at your tank that will let it run back into the well. put your pump should still make pr . a pr problem is a week pump,low well or a leak in the pipe in your well.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After a long draw, when the pump is not building pressure, if i turn the house supply off and shut the pump off the pressure will drop semi-fast and steady. Once i let it sit a few minutes and re-start the pump it will build pressure and hold it.

Keith

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If it was a low well wouldn't the water be dirty??

keith

·
having fun
31,274 Posts
After a long draw, when the pump is not building pressure, if i turn the house supply off and shut the pump off the pressure will drop semi-fast and steady. Once i let it sit a few minutes and re-start the pump it will build pressure and hold it.

Keith

if the check valve is working properly it should hold pressure on the house side of the check valve as long as all valves{faucets}and toilets arent letting water pass

if you can undo the line at the check valve on the pump side-and then turn on the pump and check pressure on that side do so

if you find yourself putting in a new well pump,wrap it around the inlet with a layer of mesh,itll keep crap from getting into the pump and act as a filter

·
ROLL TIDE!!!!
20,992 Posts
if you can undo the line at the check valve on the pump side-and then turn on the pump and check pressure on that side do so

Was gonna say that, too. Easier to check that check valve than to pull the pump, right?

·
having fun
31,274 Posts
Was gonna say that, too. Easier to check that check valve than to pull the pump, right?

depends,if he has a pump that resembles a pool pump then it would be serviceable but hard to prevent debri from coming up the inlet again without installing inline filters

other pumps resemble drop in sump/sewer pumps and can be hoisted up by the 1 1/2 pipe that screws into the top of it-those usually arent serviceable-excluding replacing the float switch-but usually you get stuck buying a new pump

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So...it will hold steady pressure for a long time? But only until something else starts running?
It will not build pressure after a long draw, IE running the washer, or taking a shower. If I pull the electric, the pressure will drop like a rock to zero, with the house line closed off. Then i let it sit for a few minutes and fire the pump back up and it will build pressure at a normal rate right up to the 50 PSI shut off, and hold it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts