Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know plug pics are hard, but I could really use some insight on these. Never been really good at reading them, and I would love to hear some ideas... I know one is missing, long story...

sbf with victor JR heads
275 shot through a plate
17 degrees total timing
110 in the factory tank, c-16 in nitrous fuel cell

Thanks,
Kevin

Any timing marks...

·
Registered
49,816 Posts
I have tried playing the 110 w c16 game. Not worth the effort involved. Plus you don't get the real benefits of c16 either.

Those plugs are rich rich rich. So its time to clean it up. The question is are you rich becuase the motor tuneup is rich or becuase the nitrous tune up is rich.

Start working on the carb and hold off on the nitrous. Get the plugs clean on motor and then talk to someone Like Monty Smith or Steve Johnson and get a good tuneup.

The plugs are to sooty to read the timming mark. Try cleaning them up with some carb cleaner and repost the pictures of the thread shells.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
...my 02.....from personal experience with our car.... never tried mixing fuels however....

when we ran the c16 the plugs came out that crappy browinsh color... its too cold of a fuel.

i know its expensive but when everybody tells you its worth it, it is.... we switched to c23.... plugs aren't even the same color... still working on cleaning the tune up - up, but the plug color its self is better.

can you give any jet spread and fuel psi info? if not thats fine, but its fat. and I don't see a timing mark. doesn't look like its making any heat yet... but clean the plug up before you play with the timing. as mine is doing, you may as well, as you clean the plug up the timing mark may start to show its face.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

some more info:

following Wilsons tune, .093 on both sides. 7psi flowing fuel.

I was going to start cutting back on fuel from my tunes of last year, but when my engine guy rebuilt the motor this year he said that none of the ring lands were lifted and he didn't think we were running too fat with our tunes...

So that color might be coming from the c-16? I had a hard time really identifying a fuel ring on some of these..

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
well the fuel ring just has some dark color. I posted a plug pic from a buddies street motor in mike beck's thread. I know it's way less horse, but same concept.might try straight c14 if budget won't allow the twenty three.and I would consider that a fat tune up. you'd shit if you knew my jet spread at five and a half pounds. can't spill it but I think you've got room to lean out

·
Registered
49,816 Posts
I'd try the suqare jetting at 5.5psi myself and see where it goes.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
no wilson plate. it's a double cross.and the plug pics I posted are from and nx single sprang barI believe that there is no magic plate that is just leaps and bounds different tune up wise to want squared letting. especially at seven psi.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
steve! where you been!?

·
Super Moderator
12,145 Posts
I was out of town this past weekend at a place called Durhamtown in Ga. Me, the wife and my son as well as Toby (that works for me) and his family went up there to ride some motocross and trails on our ATV's and dirt bikes...

Anyone into riding should check out that place !!! But I did have limited cell service there.. :( My wife liked that, but I was jonesing !! :p Been pretty busy in the shop as well and that limits my time on the board as well sometimes... I have to try and stay on top of it though, or someone else might try and take over !! ;) Hope all's well.. SJ

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The usual question..........

How much run time and how many runs are on these plugs ?? Did you warm the engine on these or others ?? drive or tow to and from the lanes ??? SJ
Hey Steve,

Brand new plugs. Drove car into the lanes.
Made the pass, shut down after the traps, pulled the plugs out on the big end and put in some 8's for driving back to the pics.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Man yeah! I love DurhamTown, and wish I knew you were coming up. Would have loved to meet you in person. Some of us are planning on going in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
what compression? if below 11.1 run c12, if above run c16, take fuel out on the wilson sq .093, the plugs are telling you whats up, wilson base lines are fat, and a little under timed, on the tune up chart it should tell you that as the engine efficency goes up on the motor it will require less fuel or a lean tune up! trust you plugs, is the birds eye view in the combustion process.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
do you put it in neutral as well? if yes? do you shut off the engine first or click it in neutral first?

·
Addicted To Nitrous!
3,372 Posts
Do you want to go faster?

If you want to go faster go up 10 sizes on the nitrous jet and leave the fuel alone.

If you dont want to go much faster go down on the fuel jet 10 sizes.

If you dont want to change jets go down to 5psi fuel pressure.

Either way will be a big improvement from where you are.

Your plugs show a very fat condition and not enough timing, but as you lean it out the timing mark will show its face and likely be about right if you go up on the nos jet.

If you go down on the fuel jet or pressure you will likely have to add a few degrees. But its always safer to have less than too much.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
you'll not get near as accurate of a reading? what kind of trans and valve body?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts