Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be looking to have to buy a drive shaft. I have a 1986 S10 Blazer with a 8.8 with a large flange and I have a 2 speed powerglide going in it.It has the factory driveshaft and on the flange going to the rear end it has 2 different size U-joint caps(1.062 and to the drive shaft side is 1.125) and to the yolk to the tranny is 1.125 on all 4..... The yolk slides in the trans set for a 27 spline but,it looks like its got a flat level spot inside the yolk.
Its a steel shaft and is 45 1/4 from center of cap to center of cap.
The trans does not have a roller bearing set up and does have a transbrake.I think my engine(383) is maybe 550 -600 guessing and no nitrous just carbed.
I was told the 1310 u joints may not hold. Id like to get a shaft that has the same size u joints on the flange that maybe a little bigger.
Will a cast yolk hold up to 600 horse engine as well?

·
Registered
7,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Talked to the good folks over at PST today and I will tell ya that the guy I spoke to was a real nice and had alot of patience with me. transmission I hope I can get it in next week and get the tires on so I can get a shaft built.

·
Registered
64,978 Posts
I may be looking to have to buy a drive shaft. I have a 1986 S10 Blazer with a 8.8 with a large flange and I have a 2 speed powerglide going in it.It has the factory driveshaft and on the flange going to the rear end it has 2 different size U-joint caps(1.062 and to the drive shaft side is 1.125) and to the yolk to the tranny is 1.125 on all 4..... The yolk slides in the trans set for a 27 spline but,it looks like its got a flat level spot inside the yolk.
Its a steel shaft and is 45 1/4 from center of cap to center of cap.
The trans does not have a roller bearing set up and does have a transbrake.I think my engine(383) is maybe 550 -600 guessing and no nitrous just carbed.
I was told the 1310 u joints may not hold. Id like to get a shaft that has the same size u joints on the flange that maybe a little bigger.
Will a cast yolk hold up to 600 horse engine as well?
I wouldn't trust it.

At a minimum, go with 1330 u-joints at both ends. But if it were mine, I'd get a trans yoke and the pinion yoke both for 1350 series u-joints. Spend the money only once and when you up the power, the driveshaft will be able to handle it.

·
Registered
7,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wouldn't trust it.

At a minimum, go with 1330 u-joints at both ends. But if it were mine, I'd get a trans yoke and the pinion yoke both for 1350 series u-joints. Spend the money only once and when you up the power, the driveshaft will be able to handle it.
Cool deal -thats what I had been wondering about. I sold 2 of my rc cars so it will get me 150 to get a start.lololo-----thank you for taking time witj me on this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts