Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used them for 10 years on the same engine spraying 250 and less with no issues but everyone says to go to a Hellfire ring now. Whats the opinion of others and why?

·
Registered
203 Posts
if your using nos a moly ring are NOT the way to go

·
Registered
728 Posts
Although moly rings are not ideal for NOS and their are better choices out there, 250 HP and less will not hurt them as long as your tune-up is correct. A bad tune-up will damage any ring no matter what the shot. Anyone who tells you 250 HP will damage a moly ring is just basing that on the fact that they damaged a set because of their bad tune-up and are blaming the rings instead. On a properly tuned engine a Hell Fire set will not make ANY more HP than a moly set, the Hell Fires are just more forgiving to a bad tune up. Don't be too rich and keep the timing down and your moly set will last for years with a 250 shot and even a little more occasionally. I guarantee you that if you did a leak down test before going to the track one day then hit it with a 325 HP Big Shot plate, your leak down numbers would be the same afterwards. I will admit though that since you can run a couple degrees of more timing with a Hell Fire set you may make a little more power, but very, and I mean very little more. The only time I've seen moly rings ruined by nitrous shots of 300 and less, was when the tuner had the engine pig rich and way too much timing.

·
I kill parts
10,483 Posts
I ran considerably more than 250 with them. While I wouldn't build an n2o specific combo with them, it isn't the end of the world to spray them either.

As elluded above by others, their life-span will he shortened the harder you spray it, especially if the tune isn't clean.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Ran them for a full season in a 565BBC with a max of 200 shot.
Never had a problem but.........when we went to freshen the engine I did notice the "flaking" on the ring. Looked little chips missing. That was 8 years ago.
Hellfire's & your DONE!

·
Registered
527 Posts
I'm in the same boat here. Engine together for 12 years and up to a .120 jet. For guys that like to put their stuff together and leave it alone for a long time, is cylinder wear a concern with these other ring types? I'm also talking some real street time with some mileage.

·
The nitrous guy
7,189 Posts
IIRC, the "Hellfire" ring was originally a material that was designed for the abuse a diesel can dish out. IE extremely high combustion pressures. This makes it a natural for nitrous use. It is NOT a tool steel material, nor stainless and as such I have never seen, nor should it have excessive bore wear in something that will be together for a long time. Honing procedures are nothing special and they seat QUICK. Just a very good all around ring

Monte

·
[email protected] JoeCool Performance
2,076 Posts
I couldn't find hellfires anywhere on a 1/16 1/16 3.0mm package so I ended up getting JE moly rings. On average I refresh/tear down at least every other year or as needed. Are the hellfires available with a 3.0mm oil ring or is it something that can be special ordered? Thanks.

·
The nitrous guy
7,189 Posts
I couldn't find hellfires anywhere on a 1/16 1/16 3.0mm package so I ended up getting JE moly rings. On average I refresh/tear down at least every other year or as needed. Are the hellfires available with a 3.0mm oil ring or is it something that can be special ordered? Thanks.
Who says you have to order a ring "set". You buy what you NEED. Pick up the phone, call and order (x) top ring, (x) second ring and (x) oil ring. Just because a prepackaged "set" doesn't come with what you need, doesn't mean the rings are not made.

Monte

·
Registered
33 Posts
IIRC, the "Hellfire" ring was originally a material that was designed for the abuse a diesel can dish out. IE extremely high combustion pressures. This makes it a natural for nitrous use. It is NOT a tool steel material, nor stainless and as such I have never seen, nor should it have excessive bore wear in something that will be together for a long time. Honing procedures are nothing special and they seat QUICK. Just a very good all around ring

Monte
I decided to go with a hellfire top ring on my 496 nitrous engine.

Can you elaborate on what a hellfire ring is made of? I've always heard it was tool steel.

·
Registered
108 Posts
How about the JE Pro seal? We could not find the Hell fire in an .043 1/16 3/16, 4.530 bore but was told the JE Pro seal would be as good and they had the rings in stock. I sure hope they are. The price sure reflects a good ring.

·
The nitrous guy
7,189 Posts
How about the JE Pro seal? We could not find the Hell fire in an .043 1/16 3/16, 4.530 bore but was told the JE Pro seal would be as good and they had the rings in stock. I sure hope they are. The price sure reflects a good ring.
Once again guys, forget buying fixed "sets" of rings. Total Seal most certainly makes a .043 Hellfire for a 4.530 bore. They also make ANY second ring you want and they make ANY oil ring you want, just maybe not in a pre-packaged "set". So you call them on the phone and say I want this, this and this. I NEVER buy sets of rings. I buy what I want and make my own set.

Monte

1 - 17 of 17 Posts