Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At Street Car SuperNationals at Gateway this past weekend, we had a pit incident and I wanted to give a shout out to the Sidnei Frigo Pro Mod team for their grace and class.

We had just towed my brothers 315 radial car to the lanes for 1st round when all of a sudden we heard a loud noise from our pit area. We looked over and our canopy was gone. I ran over there and our canopy was over in another pit area across the road as well as the generator and air tank. The battery charger was also there...under the golf cart that caused the whole thing.

Sidnei's 11yr old boy was driving the golf cart and cut through our pit area when apparently there was a situation with the throttle pedal. Fortunately the boy was not hurt and where everything ended up was right where another Pro Mod car was pitting. Thankfully that car and their team were in the lanes or that car could have had some damage and someone could have gotten hurt. And amazing no one else was in the path to get hurt.

The guys on the Artivinco Pro Mod team were extremely apologetic of the whole incident. Our generator, canopy, and battery charger were damaged and Sidnie paid cash out of pocket replacement for all the damaged equipment and offered to loan us whatever was needed so we could continue to warm our bottles up etc. The boy was very upset and crying when he came over to apologize and we just told him accidents happen and we were glad that he was OK and no one else was injured. Fortunately my bro wasn't rattled and he cut a an .088 light and won 1st round.

The one funny was when I wheeled the battery charger back later, I asked if they made it to the semi's and one crew guy said "no, we needed that battery charger". It was pretty damn funny. So thanks from Team Finish Line to all those guys and we wish you the best of luck going forward. And thanks to Mel, Jeremy and the entire PSCA staff for an awesome weekend of racing.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
You lost me at the "11 year old boy driving the golf cart". Glad you're happy with the outcome and still had a good weekend. Me, I might not been quite so gracious with that other team, at least initially.

·
Banned
6,167 Posts
Everyone phucks up, how they handle it from that point is what separates good folks from those that aren't. Sounds like everything was handled very well given the situation.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We were pissed at first of course, but we had a car in the lanes so I had to quickly asses the situation, get our shit moved back into our pit area and go back to the car. We told them we would come see them after we ran. The kid is young obviously, but he drives a Jr dragster so in theory he knows the difference between the brake and gas. I'm sure they will be re-evaluating his pit driving after this.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Having been involved with junior dragsters and their drivers, I get your point but i also witnessed a few rollovers with golf carts when kids are screwing around. One resulted in a severely broken arm and head injury.

But again, glad it all worked out and hopefully a lesson was learned by all.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
4. Pit Vehicles:
a. Golf Carts, motorized pit bikes, mini-bikes and ATVs are ONLY permitted to
be used for racer needs in the pit area and/or to tow race cars/motorcycles.
b. All operators must have a valid state driver’s license as well as their car
number displayed on the pit vehicle.
c. Joy riding or unsafe operation anywhere on the premises by you or your crew
members is grounds for disqualification.
d. Children are not permitted to operate pit vehicles of any kind, at any event,
unless they have a valid, state-issued vehicle license.
e. These safety regulations are strongly enforced; as they are not just for the
protection of your property and crew, but for the protection of others as well.
f. Failure to comply with these rules will result in your immediate disqualification
and confiscation of vehicle

Above copied from Gateways' website. Little fella needs to get a little more age on him to drive a golf cart
BENT

·
Banned
41,558 Posts
4. Pit Vehicles:
a. Golf Carts, motorized pit bikes, mini-bikes and ATVs are ONLY permitted to
be used for racer needs in the pit area and/or to tow race cars/motorcycles.
b. All operators must have a valid state driver’s license as well as their car
number displayed on the pit vehicle.
c. Joy riding or unsafe operation anywhere on the premises by you or your crew
members is grounds for disqualification.
d. Children are not permitted to operate pit vehicles of any kind, at any event,
unless they have a valid, state-issued vehicle license.
e. These safety regulations are strongly enforced; as they are not just for the
protection of your property and crew, but for the protection of others as well.
f. Failure to comply with these rules will result in your immediate disqualification
and confiscation of vehicle

Above copied from Gateways' website. Little fella needs to get a little more age on him to drive a golf cart
BENT
Thank you for posting the rules. They don't mean anything though, just window dressing. The boys parents knew this, thus the reason for not following the written rules.

Window dressing, remenber that term.

·
Wannabe Racer
6,701 Posts
Shit happens. It is how people respond to it that shows true character. Kudos to that team and family for being stand-up.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
typical parent......... MY kid can handle driving in the pits, I don't care what the law/ rules are,
so if this kid had killed someone, would that make people think?

they make these rules so we all can enjoy a safe environment .
there are NO exceptions!

as far as I'm concerned . the offending racers should have been removed from the track/event, so... if you cannot control your child, what else are you NOT controlling? ( alcohol, drugs, etc)

·
Registered
22,776 Posts
I have filed a $10,000,00.00 law suit in your name against the 11yr old and a $50,000,00.00 suit against the NHRA all I ask is for 99.9% of the award.

·
Banned
41,558 Posts
typical parent......... MY kid can handle driving in the pits, I don't care what the law/ rules are,

there are NO exceptions!

as far as I'm concerned . the offending racers should have been removed from the track/event, so... if you cannot control your child, what else are you NOT controlling? ( alcohol, drugs, etc)
Relax, the boy drives a jr. dragster. It's not like he's never driven a self propelled vehicle before.

That trumps the window dressing rules.

·
Registered
16,782 Posts

there are NO exceptions!

^^^^^^ this is what happens when you spit on your hot
Dog before you eat it makes you grumpy :p . Now phuck off shit happens

·
Registered
19,610 Posts
The boy even came over to say sorry. Its not like he was being a fool like some, Most kids couldn't look anyone in face and say sorry. Glad it worked out and no one was hurt.

·
Registered
10,175 Posts
Sounds like an awesome family that raised their son right. Better than running from the situation, imo

·
1 %
12,295 Posts
Some clown goes against track policy and his 11 year old smashes my shit…I ain’t gonna praise him for paying for it. Rationalize all you want.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It could have been handled a lot worse on both sides. We were thankful the kid or no one else was injured. At the end of the day, some stuff was damaged which we'll replace.

·
Beer Pong Champ (Retired)
6,830 Posts
Some clown goes against track policy and his 11 year old smashes my shit…I ain’t gonna praise him for paying for it. Rationalize all you want.
I want us to have sweet, passionate sex soon, okay?

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
82,170 Posts
SO THEY SACRIFICED THEIR RACE BECAUSE THEY LOANED YOU THE BATTERY CHARGER?....

·
Registered
17,849 Posts
I don't think you need to worry.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts