Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am asking to learn for my own build but I am still very interested in others results.
I use wiseco pro tru pistons with 1/16 rings and when new the piston to wall is suppose to be .005 and with this hone I will be in the .008 I believe and use 110 race gas.I know some have gone as much as .015 but with piston rock and more blow by...
Thanks for your interest and information!

·
Registered
24,876 Posts
I had .0085 with my Diamonds and man they were noisy . But other than that ....no issues .

I would call Wiseco about it though , because they have a different design and run much tighter PTW .

·
Registered
15,356 Posts
Boosted hit it right on the head, its got a whole lot to do with the type of piston and its expansion characteristics. In addition the wrist pin location and skirt length will certainly play a role.

Seen some guys running a nitro altered on a budget (fast no less) that you could have measured the clearance with a tape measure..

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
thats what i mean .

Diamond did mine at .0085

Same exact combo ..... Wiseco did them at .0045

Wiseco has a different skirt design than diamond .
The skirt and piston thickness plays a part as well, Wiesco stuff is not typically a boost designed part. The set I have here is a narrow skirt lightweight style. Ls stroker stuff.. Also interestingly, only a single spirolock per side...
Having said that, I use quite a few probe pistons and although generic skirt, they run fine quite looser than recommended...
Typical bbm pistons are long and wide..

·
Registered
24,876 Posts
Heres a custom boosted Wiesco piston and custom boosted Diamond piston for the same app . The Wiesco piston has their " Armor Plate " coating . they are for a 3.75 stroke , 6" rod SBC .

Wiescos compression height is 1.120 and Diamond is 1.140

Wiesco on the left . Interesting ......huh ?

Wiesco supports the skirt closer to the middle and has considerably more " meat" on top

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The hone on mine is done and after a quick touch up is measured with a good bore gauge only .0015 over for a 4.350 piston[4,3515] and we file fit the hellfire rings .030 top and .028 2nd.I noticed the top had more of a chamfer on it this time OOTB on the back side and the 2nd ring came with the step in it that was not there with my last set.[I can not remember the name of the step at the moment.]

1 - 20 of 31 Posts