Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
Last time I talked to Diamond from what I remember it was something like $40 a piston. I've heard good things about the hard anodizing but know anyone who has had it done or seen the actual results. It certainly can't hurt but I'm wondering if it's worth it since heavy nitrous engines usually get their pistons changed out two seasons or less figuring maybe 40 passes a season for a ProMod type car.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
.001 is standard from Diamond. Just had my motor out for inspection. skirts looked great. Cylinders also had cross hatches still very visable. a plus IMO.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I got tired of paying for the coating only to see most of worn off at the end of the season. So 2010 I decided to not do it and made 85 Nitrous passes on them and they looked good when I pulled it apart:) Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
589 Posts
Ive ran coatings and no coatings. Ive also had pistons that had been run coated. Had good results both ways. Use someone that knows coatings do them, its all in the prep and there have been a few issues recently that Ive seen.

·
Registered
10,234 Posts
No they're not $40ea to coat just the skirts. $40ea is anodized hard coat with moly over that on skirts.

coat skirts only is $12-15ea

·
The nitrous guy
7,189 Posts
A clean burning tune, will burn about any top coating off. The only thing I have seen stay on the top, is the hard anodized from Diamond, or the coating from Embee. Swain and about any of those others will burn right off. No top coating will "fix" a bad tune, but it might let you miss it as little, before something gives up.The moly skirt coating is a good idea, especially a motor that does not have an ideal rod ratio and maybe side loads the pistons pretty heavy.

Monte

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the input - I would say it has to be a good thing to do - especially for as cheap as it is. Less than 100 for the set of pistons for potential less wear and stress - seems like a no brainer.

·
Registered
10,234 Posts
A clean burning tune, will burn about any top coating off. The only thing I have seen stay on the top, is the hard anodized from Diamond, or the coating from Embee. Swain and about any of those others will burn right off. No top coating will "fix" a bad tune, but it might let you miss it as little, before something gives up.The moly skirt coating is a good idea, especially a motor that does not have an ideal rod ratio and maybe side loads the pistons pretty heavy.

Monte
X2

1 - 12 of 12 Posts