Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a bunch of reserach on this topic and would like to get some opinions on what I should set my end gap to or what different people have had success with on their build. This motor is a 383 (4.030" bore) sbc half filled block, diamond pistons, total seal file fit rings, going to be run on e85 and see around 28lbs of boost with the 91mm. Any input would be great! Thanks

·
Registered
49,441 Posts
better to have to much then not enough.

·
Registered
49,441 Posts
which total seal ring are you planning to use specifically

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are a total seal advance profiling set 1/16"-1/16"-3/16", steel top ring, cast iron 2nd ring and std. tension oil.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
On my last 355, my top was at .028 and second at .030. My new 421 with a 4.155 bore is at .034 top and .036 second.

·
Registered
5,797 Posts
I would talk to total seal directly and have all the piston info handy especially the recommended skirt clearance, distance to 1st ring, fuel and boost. No one knows more about the gap than the guys who make the rongs and do it every day. On piston clearance and ring gap too much will work everytime too little never end well. Talk to Diamond if you have coated pistons, they will usually tell you to use the moly layer as a sacrifical layer and subtract its thickness from skirt clearance depending on the fuel type and application.

·
Chupa Cabra
9,824 Posts
When making lots of HP its better to be a little loose

For sure! I was just giggin jon(turbotbirds) a little. From the info I've gathered for my upcoming build I thought .024 might work good, but I may go looser like .028 or .030 now.

·
Chupa Cabra
9,824 Posts
It will be 3.903"

Edit: That is for the LS1 that's in there now, I'm looking to replace it with a built 5.3 this winter/spring. They have 3.78" bore.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
If you keep the factory bore what ring gap is recommended with the stock rings and piston? I was going to go .021 on the top and .023 on the second.
depending on what the application is intended for is what it depends on as well.. I have built a few high horsepower motors and on a motor i know that will be making alot of hp i normally take the bore in inches and multiply it by .0055 for the top ring and add .003-.007 on the bottom this is for a boosted engine so on the stock ls with the 3.78 bore i would do a .021 and .025

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
depending on what the application is intended for is what it depends on as well.. I have built a few high horsepower motors and on a motor i know that will be making alot of hp i normally take the bore in inches and multiply it by .0055 for the top ring and add .003-.007 on the bottom this is for a boosted engine so on the stock ls with the 3.78 bore i would do a .021 and .025
Okay. I was going to do .021 and .023 but I am only planning on 800rwhp on twin pt62's on E85. Daily driver and raced hard about every other weekend on E85. Using all stock internals except arp rod bolts, patriot gold dual springs, 224/230 .581/.588 114 cam. My stock 5.3 was running when we pulled it with 60psi of oil pressure. Only 70k in miles. I just didn't want to be burning a bunch of oil and have a bunch of blow bye. My goal is sub 6 sec and was hoping I could do this with less than 20lbs of boost and the factory ecm. 1/8th mile.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Okay. I was going to do .021 and .023 but I am only planning on 800rwhp on twin pt62's on E85. Daily driver and raced hard about every other weekend on E85. Using all stock internals except arp rod bolts, patriot gold dual springs, 224/230 .581/.588 114 cam. My stock 5.3 was running when we pulled it with 60psi of oil pressure. Only 70k in miles. I just didn't want to be burning a bunch of oil and have a bunch of blow bye. My goal is sub 6 sec and was hoping I could do this with less than 20lbs of boost and the factory ecm. 1/8th mile.
What kind of piston to wall clearance you going to run? also put a catch can set up on it!

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
A 4 inch bore LS with stock pistons and rings could still butt at .021. thats only .003-.006 more gap than the ones ive torn down stock in N/a form. 2nd rings ive seen at .025-.028. That ring will grow more the more heat you put in it. The crown and ring pack is not a boosted design. Theres a large difference in the amount of heat a ring will see when its .300 down versus .150-.180. E85 doesnt burn as hot as gas...that helps. Id still go .024-.025 on the stock ring and piston. If you had good rings in it that wouldnt grow as much, you could run em down at .021-.022.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts