Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Master Fabricator
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys use when it comes to file fit your rings? I was looking for another option other than the $50 tool Jegs sells.

Years ago we would just use a metal file with the ring in a vice. Is this not good any more?

Thanks!

·
Registered
71,679 Posts
I guess that will depend on how many ring sets you plan to file.

I have the battery powered unit from Akerly & Childs but it was around $450.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
I use the old cheap but reliable rotary disc. I however modified mine with bronze bushings that fit well and stabilizes the side motion on the disc. I have done alot of the .043 rings at 4.600 and it works fine. Todays rings are too tough, too thin, and too big around for a flat file in a vice like we did 45 yrs ago.

·
Registered
379 Posts
PROFORM makes a cheaper battery powered filler [suspect china] I agree todays rings are difficult to do by hand, many times its a 2 man job [need second man to turn the crank ]

·
Senior phuckstick
1,801 Posts
I use the cheap, self powered unit. It does the job. I usually only do a engine every couple of years though.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
The Proform ain't a bad deal, depends how many engines you are planning to build. I do half a dozen a year. Works fine.

PROFORM makes a cheaper battery powered filler [suspect china] I agree todays rings are difficult to do by hand, many times its a 2 man job [need second man to turn the crank ]

·
Registered
4 Posts
I still use the manual rotary disc with a diamond disc. When I get to some of the hard top rings I have cheated and removed the handle, and put my cordless drill on the shaft. I don't use the drill on second rings because they grind away to fast. OOPS!!
Tom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts