Yellow Bullet Forums banner

81 - 100 of 149 Posts

·
Idiot Savant
163,692 Posts
some of the internet forum hacks posting here would have you believe that Scott Shafiroff doesn't have a clue despite the fact that he has built more street/strip and drag engines than anyone else in the country and for longer too and surprise, surprise, the ring package he uses in a pump gas, hydraulic roller cammed, 600hp BBC engine just like the guy that started this thread is asking about is a 1/16", 1/16", 3/16" ring pack and the pistons don't have gas ports either 540 Big Block Chevy Pump Gas Engine

[email protected] opinions are worth what you pay for them, be very careful of whose opinion you trust and follow.
Once you get away from 1/16 1/16 3/16 in a big block availability is all over the where. If you want a consistent piston line that's pretty much all you can use. There are some 1.5, some .043 and some you're stuck with a Dykes. Small block, you can do pretty much anything you want.

Not saying that's the reason. The fact is, most people don't need to find 10.5 H/P

Also most volume engine builders, like Gaerte (back in the day) and Scafiroff don't go for all the power they can get. They get reasonable power.....and avoid problems. I'll grant you I only did 250 a year, or so, but I'd opt for something I know will work over a bit of power any day.

Reher and Morrison found thin rings and gas ports worth 40 horserpower, though. So, even in a weekend car that makes a lot of laps a year, there is a distinct advantage in the late model stuff. Just use a .062 port and go have fun.

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
youve said it will wear quicker and cause more blowby. please explain why it would wear quicker
He can't, he don't know shit, ain't no way a .043/.043/3mm ring pack will wear the bore more and have more blow by...

Only blow by is outta his mouth.
He ain't got shit, know shit, or done anything worth mentioning other then blowing off his opinions on parts he'd like to use or googled about....period.

·
Idiot Savant
163,692 Posts
That's bullshit right there....
Ok smart ass, what makes a 1/16" ring pack better and last longer then a .043 3mm ring pack....
Share your wisdom for all here to learn.
And no quoting what other big name builders are doing, I want to know what you know.
The .043 will probably outlive the 1/16, because of the reduction in racial tension.

All else being equal, I'll take the thinner ring pack....all the way to the point of diminishing returns.

·
Idiot Savant
163,692 Posts
It flat out will out live the 1/16", I've seen it first hand, and the bores were worn more too.
I'm trying to be nice. Some people here seem to be wearing a real tight thong.

Besides, if I act like me here and tell that fellow what I normally would, Chris will yell at me.

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
I just built a 421 sbc low port 23 * head .
It has 1mm/1mm/3mm oil ring.
It made 697hp on shell 93 octane pump gas...
Plugs bone dry, exhaust ports bone dry.... It's got couple hundred miles on it and it'll go a very long time....
NPR steel top, steel second Napier, low tentsion oil ring.

·
Idiot Savant
163,692 Posts
I just built a 421 sbc low port 23 * head .
It has 1mm/1mm/3mm oil ring.
It made 697hp on shell 93 octane pump gas...
Plugs bone dry, exhaust ports bone dry.... It's got couple hundred miles on it and it'll go a very long time....
NPR steel top, steel second Napier, low tentsion oil ring.
I use .043 .043 .043 on the PRS Series. Honestly it's only because I can get them in any SB bore size, so it make it easy for me to build the blueprints, and the supply from NPR is inconsistent.

·
Idiot Savant
163,692 Posts
Or did you mean getting them from NPR was hard???
Yes. I used them, mostly for import pistons, and they would call and tell us what came in...how many do you want. You can't usually just call up and get 10 sets of 4.030s. You have to wait and buy a pile when they have them.

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
I also just got a set of Mahle power pak flat tops for a street engine, I was suprised they came with a 1/1/2mm set up... And the top ring was steel, second ductile iron Napier....

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
Yes. I used them, mostly for import pistons, and they would call and tell us what came in...how many do you want. You can't usually just call up and get 10 sets of 4.030s. You have to wait and buy a pile when they have them.
Oh, ok....
I thought you meant the ring were inconsistent in sizing of the rings... LOL

·
Idiot Savant
163,692 Posts
Those steel top rings are the shit. They are tough and easy on the walls.

Hasting has a bunch on new ones I'd like to use....but I'm not sure what I think about a moly faced stainless top.

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
Those steel top rings are the shit. They are tough and easy on the walls.

Hasting has a bunch on new ones I'd like to use....but I'm not sure what I think about a moly faced stainless top.
I has used that Hasting steel one you speak of, just one set, but they are still going.... lol
No problems....

81 - 100 of 149 Posts