Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 40 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
This is 2020, no need to use 25+ year old technology.
I'd use and .043/.043/3mm STD oil ring.
Use a quality steel top and steel Napier second ring.

Check out Mahle power pack piston kits, baddass setup for the money.
Just my opinion.
I agree about the Mahle Powerpak kits being a great value, we use 50-60 sets a year. A lot of the BBC offerings are still 1.5,1.5,3.0mm packages, still better than the 1/16, 3/16 stuff. They are slowly changing everything to 1.0,1.0, 2.0mm, most of the small block bores are there.

·
Banned
322 Posts
There will be no performance advantage in this street engine with a .043/3mm ring package, only shorter ring life and earlier blow by.

·
Banned
322 Posts
I wouldn’t know how many engines Kyle’s father has built, I have never spoken to him and had I, that isn’t the first thing I would have asked him, it would have been can he help me. I have built all of my engines.

·
Registered
25,280 Posts
I’m not ever stating the 1/16th ring pack is as good as the thin stuff, but, if his pistons are already in hand, and set up for those rings, and it’s a street engine, what the hell? Use em, and go on. If not, then yes, get the thinner ring pack.

·
Registered
14,578 Posts
There will be no performance advantage in this street engine with a .043/3mm ring package, only shorter ring life and earlier blow by.
That's absolutely not true. You really should just stop.
Why have all the oem's gone to thinner rings?
Better materials
Less friction
Better conformability for better sealing
Longer life
This isn't the 80's any more.

·
Registered
9,064 Posts
I wouldn’t know how many engines Kyle’s father has built, I have never spoken to him and had I, that isn’t the first thing I would have asked him, it would have been can he help me. I have built all of my engines.
I highly doubt you have built a single engine or even a car.... Post proof,
Come on big boy, I posted my ride and where I race and all you did was make fun of me...
Whatcha got and where you race???

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I’m not ever stating the 1/16th ring pack is as good as the thin stuff, but, if his pistons are already in hand, and set up for those rings, and it’s a street engine, what the hell? Use em, and go on. If not, then yes, get the thinner ring pack.
Exactly! ^^^^^

·
Registered
14,578 Posts
I agree. I wouldn't go out and buy new pistons just to change the ring pack.

·
Idiot Savant
163,049 Posts
The idea is to seal the cylinder. They'll both do that. The 1.5 set has less friction due to a shorter radial dimension so you'll see a bit more power, but both of them will work fine.

Where did everyone get the silly notion that 1/16" D Wall rings sudden quit working? Having a choice, I'd take the free giddy-up, but geez....

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
X2, it’s a street engine, if the smaller ring pack & piston combo fits the budget then use it, if not the 1/16 package will work just fine.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Total seal makes spacers to use a thin ring in the 1/16 ring land. They even have gas ported spacers. This has been done in Stock eliminator engines for many years. Unless its a real high end build the 1/16 ring will work fine in a street strip type engine.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I vote for the molnar rods if you haven’t decided yet. I’ve got a set of their h beams in my 468 and love em. Weights were all spot on and machining was dead nuts.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Ed, how many engines you build??

None, you write a check.....
Got 1/16 rings in the big bad Kyle's Stupid Comp engine??
RCM- Kyle Bigley comp dragster was 2018 world champion and I believe 2019 runner up I doubt that he has a stupid engine as you post, why do you let this JAFO tip you over so easy? Was your race car a winning car last year? Not trying to bust your nuts but don’t understand why you are taking A swing at Kyle and his accomplishments ?

Steve

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
RCM- Kyle Bigley comp dragster was 2018 world champion and I believe 2019 runner up I doubt that he has a stupid engine as you post, why do you let this JAFO tip you over so easy? Was your race car a winning car last year? Not trying to bust your nuts but don’t understand why you are taking A swing at Kyle and his accomplishments ?

Steve
[/QUOTE
He was never world champion as you say. And I didn't see him taking a swing at his accomplishments, just a comment about the engine in the dragster that sunset built.

21 - 40 of 149 Posts